Pictures of a deserted Heathrow Terminal 1 just before it is demolished

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

Photos here from the Daily Mail (I know ) showing the inside of Terminal 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4554496/Heathrow-s-Terminal-One-awaiting-demolition.html

I should say the accompanying story from some Daily Mail hack is mostly rubbish so don’t bother reading it. It’s the photos that are of interest.

capetonianm
    Participant

Has the third runway been approved yet or is the government still dithering?

Charles-P
    Participant

@capetonianm

If you ask me for a straight answer, then I shall say that, as far as we can see, looking at it by and large, taking one thing with another in terms of the average of departments, then in the final analysis it is probably true to say, that at the end of the day, in general terms, you would probably find that, not to put too fine a point on it, there probably wasn’t very much in it one way or the other. As far as one can see, at this stage. Although in defence of those ministers responsible the traditional allocation of executive responsibilities has always been so determined as to liberate the ministerial incumbent from the administrative minutiae by devolving the managerial functions to those whose experience and qualifications have better formed them for the performance of such humble offices, thereby releasing their political overlords for the more onerous duties and profound deliberations which are the inevitable concomitant of their exalted position.

(hat tip – Yes Minister)

GivingupBA
    Participant

Very good Charles!

Here’s a translation of your very long paragraph: “No. Yes”.

Charles-P
    Participant

@Capetonianm and @GivingupBA

The entire third runway debacle has been a disgrace ( I declare my bias, I once had a financial interest in it going ahead). The case for the third runway has long been made, the company that owns Heathrow bought most of the land and houses years ago, the economic argument is overwhelming, the aviation need is obvious and the other alternatives are simply not good enough. Despite all that we have had one group of politicians after another vacillating away trying to appease everybody and failing over and over again. Time for people to show some leadership and guts.

Ahmad
    Participant

Or is it “Yes. Yes”. I wonder.

Ahmad
    Participant

Thank you for the pictures Charles-P. Terminal 1 has one particular memory I am not likely to forget. I once took my suitcase all the way to the gate because I was late checking in. I was going to Brussels and it was sometime in the late eighties. They told me they couldn’t guarantee my suitcase will be onboard unless I handed it at the gate. You should’ve seen the looks on people’s faces as I made a dash for it, with a thirty inch hard shell on rollers in toe, at top speed. Glad to report myself and said case safely made it to Brussels that morning!

Charles-P
    Participant

For anybody interested there is still a chance to bid for some of the items within Terminal 1 at auction

Heathrow Airport Terminal 1- Private Treaty

Including such gems as 4,000+ Airport Seats and 2,000+ Security cameras. Interestingly they are also selling the Immigration Iris Scanners which I seem to remember never worked properly !

Stowage222
    Participant

Charles – Many thanks for sharing this link. I’ve been flying in to and out of LHR since 1956 and I had no idea about the crash!

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Charles – Iris worked a treat for me, every time. Bring it back I say.

canucklad
    Participant

Thanks for the link Charles,
    Like many others on here T1 will always have a special place in my heart.
    And as I’ve commented many moons ago elsewhere on the forum I’d never of thought that back in the day when I was a starry eyed little Vancouver boy travelling to Scotland for my holidays, and my senses overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle of a people travelling to such exotic destinations as the IOM, Guernsey, Teesside, Carlisle amongst many others, and all against the backdrop of a chic, modern yet garish yellow, in my adulthood I’d use the same terminal on a near weekly basis, learning all the little nooks and crannies that helped facilitate an easier traipse through the place.
    All great memories, whether they fell into the good or bad memories of the place..

ImissConcorde
    Participant

And for those of you for whom memories are not enough ……………….

http://londonist.com/london/features/for-sale-the-entire-contents-of-heathrow-terminal-1?rel=handpicked

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls