Pay US$100 to join Marco Polo Club

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• TS-Andy
    Participant

I thought I would join the Marco Polo Club since I would be flying Cathay Pacific for the first time.

To my surprise, after filling almost all my particulars on-line to join the club, came a section informing me that there will be a joining fee of US$100. I have joined a few airlines’ FFPs but never have I paid any joining fee. Hence I decided not to proceed further.

Is this some kind of a joke? Since when Marco Polo Club requires a joining fee? I remembered helping my wife to join this club without any charge.

Cathay Pacific should at the very start, inform those who interest to join its FFP that there is a joining before anyone start to fill in his/her particulars.

Jonathon
    Participant

You are probably looking for the Asia Miles club, which is Cathay Pacific’s frequent flyer club, which is free to join.

I believe Marco Polo club is rather like a private member’s club in that there is a fee for joining as you get instant benefits, unlike most frequent flyer clubs where the joining level gives you next to no benefits.

TS-Andy
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Jonathon.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi TS Andy,
    This is a relatively new policy from CX. Their scheme is similar to BA in that you earn points with CX / BA to gain status, but miles are accumulated in Asiamiles / Avios.

My Marco Polo status has now reduced to zero and in December 2016 I received this mail:-
    Fly to renew your Green status
    When club changes went into effect in April, 100 club points became the new requirement for Green membership renewal. However, we would like to offer you an exceptional renewal if you book any flight eligible for club points* and travel before your membership expires. Alternatively, you may pay an annual renewal fee of USD100.

The following year
    Once you renew your Green membership, it is good for 12 months, and can be renewed for another year by flying 100 club points or paying a USD100 renewal fee. You can learn how the club points system works and how club points are calculated here.

Whether or not you renew, your Asia Miles account is not affected and you will continue to earn and redeem Asia Miles as you do now.

I hope this helps. As you can imagine, I let my Marco Polo card lapse and will rely on BA Gold for lounge entry etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls