United Airlines – Overbooked flight…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s trending on Twitter along the lines of
    “David Dao lost his seat, now Munoz is set to lose his.”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Swissdiver
    Participant

This graph is one year old. In today’s context, it remains interesting…
    See the link below

The Economist: “International Airlines Price V Service”

Flightlevel
    Participant

UA CEO deserves all that he doesn’t get from his bad management systems and worse response to the crisis and why don’t they have executive aircraft available, cheaper by far than the recent chaos – and even Ryanair has its own executive aircraft!

TominScotland
    Participant

Yes, I saw that sad news, Tom. Rumour has it that United were overbooked in Cargo and Simon refused to give up his crate. He died while being dragged off the plane against his will. All other bunnies on the flight have been offered 10,000 carrots by United for the distress they may feel.

drflight
    Participant

Forum participants following the United/Dr Dao case may be interested to read the official police incident reports released now by the Chicago Police department:

http://documents.latimes.com/incident-report-about-passengers-removal-united-flight/

jsn55
    Participant

I was grandmothered into United after the Continental merger, so fly UA 95% of the time, since my home airport is SFO. After all the dreary years before Oscar, he did make a difference to the employees, I could see it begin a few months after he came back to work from the heart thing. Of course I have an opinion on Bumpgate. This whole disgusting story has two causes: the UA gate agent who was a jerk asking for volunteers so nobody wanted to cooperate, and the passenger who did not follow instructions to deplane. All the rest is just a social media firestorm; connecting United to the airport police is ridiculous, UA did not drag the guy off the plane. That same gate agent probably called them prematurely. Some reports say that the passenger ‘went limp’ when the officers approached, causing him to bang his own head on the armrest and cause the physical damage. As a Yank, I am very interested in what y’all think over there across the pond, so I was glad to find this forum topic.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=804441]I was grandmothered into United after the Continental merger, so fly UA 95% of the time, since my home airport is SFO. After all the dreary years before Oscar, he did make a difference to the employees, I could see it begin a few months after he came back to work from the heart thing. Of course I have an opinion on Bumpgate. This whole disgusting story has two causes: the UA gate agent who was a jerk asking for volunteers so nobody wanted to cooperate, and the passenger who did not follow instructions to deplane. All the rest is just a social media firestorm; connecting United to the airport police is ridiculous, UA did not drag the guy off the plane. That same gate agent probably called them prematurely. Some reports say that the passenger ‘went limp’ when the officers approached, causing him to bang his own head on the armrest and cause the physical damage. As a Yank, I am very interested in what y’all think over there across the pond, so I was glad to find this forum topic.

[/quote]

What do I think?

If United had pre-planned space to send the dead heading crew to Louisville, the incident would not have happened.

It starts and ends with United. No crew to add at the last minute, no problem. Direct cause and effect. The gate agent, the airport police etc. are just players in the scene caused by United.

Why should passengers who had paid for their tickets be obliged to lose their flights because the airline discovers it needs to transport a crew at the last minute?

Imagine if a Hilton went to a guest’s room after check in and threw them out to accomodate a visiting staff member?

Totally unacceptable.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@hueyjudy, it could very well be that people on this side of the pond have a different perception of fairness, because I agree totally with @FDOS_UK.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

HueyJudy, sadly this whole episode, particularly when the CEO poured “oil on troubled waters”, points to a troublesome culture. Every business has customers and that includes governments who work for the people /their constituents albeit they either forget that or the thought never crosses their mind. If the CEO is red hot on reinforcing that the customer is king then these issues tend not to arise. Look at banks, telco’s and utilities to mention just three and what a dreadful example they set. Unfortunately travel companies are not far behind. My work has allowed me to see and work with some great examples of an equal employee and customer focus culture and guess what happy employees and customers drive profits. To many CEO’s are living in an industrial age mentality of leadership with little inclination to change. Interestingly Tim Clark the CEO of Emirates made it clear he thought the UA CEO should have gone!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Sorry, context would help…

drflight
    Participant

The incident of the Houston passenger being pushed to the ground took place in 2015 but is in the US media again as the passenger concerned filed a law suit exceeding $1million in Texas just last week.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls