United Airlines – Overbooked flight…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

“At US10,000 on offer this will spawn a whole new industry coupled with airlines dragging people ONTO aircraft”
    Isn’t that how Ryanair achieve such high load factors?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone being dragged off a Swiss flight. Just saying!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

First a doctor, then a honeymoon couple, now a 10-year old…. the overbooking story stretches into a second week.

Air Canada apologises after ‘bumping’ boy, 10, from flight

drflight
    Participant

Evidently the Board of Directors are standing behind Mr Munoz so I don’t think his job is on the line at all now:

“We are standing by Oscar and his team as they work to assure that something like this does not happen again,” Robert Milton, United’s chairman, wrote in an internal message to employees that was reviewed by CNNMoney.

Above taken from here:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/18/news/companies/united-oscar-munoz-employees/

In all the coverage the media seem to be concentrating most on United whilst the City of Chicago, the employer of the three Aviation Support Officers, is getting a light ride media wise in my opinion. Any forum participants following this ongoing saga, and who watched any of the Chicago Aviation Committee Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner being grilled by the Aldermen video, may be interested in this document which shows the Chicago Police Department Use of Force Guidelines. I am assuming the three Aviation Support Officers were subject to the same guidelines:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56996151cbced68b170389f4/t/569ad304e0327c41cd983519/1452987142164/Chicago+1.pdf

MrsLuganoPirate
    Participant

it seems it may have been cheaper for UA to buy the 4 crew each a Porsche to drive to their destination ….

lesmclaren
    Participant

MrsLuganoPirate. Good comment!! Of course the sensible option [ignoring the idiots who did not arrange their seats ahead of all this happening] would have been to charter a private flight. Am sure UA has executive” aircraft available! Would have most likely been more cost effective and certainly saved UA all the mess and cost its in now!
    Happy that the vast majority of my traveling is now within Europe!!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Tom,

All part of America’s Anti Tourism policies.

Ahmad
    Participant

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=803617]<twitterwidget class=”twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered” id=”twitter-widget-0″ style=”position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;” data-tweet-id=”855522468383121408″></twitterwidget>
    <script async=”” src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

[/quote]

Does this mean he’s fired?

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Oscar Munoz Won’t Get Planned Promotion to Chairman of United
    “In the proxy filing Friday, United Continental said Mr. Munoz had voluntarily agreed to drop a clause in his employment contract under which he would ascend to the role of company chairman next year.

He also agreed to the elimination of another contract clause that would have allowed him to resign his post as chief executive if he was not also given the role of chairman, according to the filing.”

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Emirates boss on United: I would have quit over passenger ‘disgrace’

“Let me say it was a disgrace. It shamed the airline industry as a whole,” Emirates Airline President Tim Clark told CNNMoney Emerging Markets Editor John Defterios.
    “We don’t go about our business in that way. It’s symptomatic of a corporate culture within that company from the board and chief executive downwards.”

Ahmad
    Participant

No LP, looking at the link Tom posted he will not be getting the promotion to Chairman but will continue as CEO. Looks like Reuters have also succumbed to the attractions of sensationalism by being ‘economic on the truth’.

drflight
    Participant

I think the journalist Adam Pasick summed it up rather neatly with the headline:

“United CEO Oscar Munoz was re-accommodated from the chairman’s seat.”

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls