United Airlines – Overbooked flight…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, quite a few different angles – in terms of camera views, on this one

https://www.yahoo.com/news/united-passenger-forcibly-removed-flight-refusing-give-seat-134930951.html

Very shocking – we’ll have to see what the full story is….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

United’s response follows

This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United. I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly to him and further address and resolve this situation.” – Oscar Munoz, CEO, United Airlines.”

canucklad
    Participant

Well they say there is no such thing as bad publicity.
    This story clearly banishes that theory into the dustbin.
    And the lawyers must be wringing their hands with glee. As opposed to the UA employees who’ve clearly lost the plot.

travelworld
    Participant

If the flight was overbooked and full how come he was sitting in a seat?

travelworld
    Participant

Ah, just read the original story. They wanted him to give up his seat for a United employee. Blimey….

Flightlevel
    Participant

There was a United motif of flying ducks, they obviously haven’t changed their attitude to their customers!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Good grief, I hope he takes them to the cleaners.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Fly the friendly skies and get beaten to a pulp on the ground….totally disgusting as a long term UA executive frequent flyer…

rferguson
    Participant

From what I understand there was a deadheading crew that needed to be on that flight to operate a return flight the following morning and for whatever reason (whether it was a last minute thing or an oversight) no one knew anything about them until the flight was boarding.

United could have obviously resolved this by offering generous compensation – which apparently it didn’t. The irony being it will likely cost them thousands times more now. It is absolutely shameful the way they handled it.

rodders
    Participant

Not sure what is worse, the person dragging the passenger or the police official saying “way to go” what a dreadful scene….I will certainly never fly United, not sure I like going Stateside much these days either!

Johnnyg
    Participant

No matter which version of film is seen it is a sad indictment of both United airlines and the law enforcement agents involved. Firstly I hope the passenger is ok and does take them for millions. One issue is why were passengers allowed to board before United offered $800 to anyone who gave up their seat, surely it would have been better at the gate. Secondly if the passenger does sue, who would it be against, United airlines, the law enforcement agency involved or both? Could other passengers also sue for distress as well?
    Oscar Munoz, CEO of United states ‘Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened. We are also reaching out to this passenger to talk directly with him to address and resolve this situation.” It will be interesting to see how the situation is resolved and whether it hits United’s share price.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls