Oneworld v Star Alliance

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I make no secret that I am One World loyal. BA, T5 and other One World members.

However, in a couple of weeks I need to go to Athens for a couple of days & all I am seeing on that route is One World being MORE THAN DOUBLE Star Alliance and its not even high season.

So for the first time since opening and actually I cant even remember when the last time was, I will be using the new T2… and restarting my Miles and More points, which expired a couple of months ago..

Out of interest though, are there any other routes which favour either of the alliances..??

Senator
    Participant

I look at it this way:

Intra-Europe: Swiss is my number one choice, BA second
    To North America in Club: BA is my first choice, Swiss second
    To North America in First: Lufthansa or Swiss by a mile, BA a distant second
    Within North America: American over United
    To Asia: The choices of BA, Qatar, Qantas, Cathay, MAS collectively is neck to neck with Swiss, Lufthansa, Thai, Singapore, and ANA

Hard choice, triggered by destination and class of service

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My first choice on all routes where possible is Swiss, but long haul I’m now veering towards Lufthansa. They not only have better fares on some routes, an incredible First Class service, but I also much prefer their booking site over Swiss’s revamped site.

Otherwise, great choice Martyn , I’m sure you’ll be won over.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Martyn – is there no Avios availability?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MartynSinclair – 08/09/2015 22:56 BST

Never mind being stung by your return airfare, are you prepared for Athens in the midst of yet another general election? Be prepared for plenty more argy-bargy if you are heading into central Athens because the riot police are the one part of the Greek state which appears not to have had their funding decimated!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

2 meetings, 2 nights, I have no intention of leaving the hotel grounds, except if the sea is warm enough to swim in…

Giampaolo
    Participant

Interesting to see that Skyteam is out of the contest – and for a reason.. or maybe for many reasons (AF, KL, SU, AZ, DL, AR etc)..

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well, Martyn, I’d fly Aegean and Miles&Bonus. Provided you’ll have a few extra Star Alliance flights this year, you’d reach Silver easily. And they are more generous than the crappy Miles & More…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I tend to agree Swiss Diver, except that should you reach Gold with Agean you won’t have access to the Senator lounge nor receive the 25% bonus miles.

Swissdiver
    Participant

LP: I am Aegean Gold, hence Star Alliance Gold with all the associated benefits including Senator Lounges access.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I didn’t know that Swissdiver. I knew the Business lounge could be used so maybe I’ll have to reconsider my loyalty to M&M. Thanks for the info.

Swissdiver
    Participant

This year, probably under LH pressure, Aegean had to increase the thresholds for Silver and Gold. That said, it remains very accessible even without Aegean flights…

christopheL
    Participant

@ Giampaolo – 09/09/2015 11:59 BST

I know that Skyteam is the ugly duckling of most BT readers but maybe the first reason for not flying from London to Athen for a couple a days with Skyteam is the lack of Skyteam direct flights on that route.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Martyn, I believe Turkish will still do status matches if you are looking for lounge access

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls