One Way Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

Help please…..
    I need to purchase a ticket for a family member for this weekend to get them to Toronto.
    One Way only, preferably on Saturday….avoiding westjet and possibly air transit too.
    Will consider options including a stopover or change of planes or via an east coast USA city eg New York.
    Need to get them to Toronto by 5pm ideally . One World partner airline of choice but will consider all options including a iOS ticket.
    Thank you Forum for ideas…..
    Last resource AC direct one Way but rediculously expensive !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You don’t mention class of travel, but I’d suggest buying a return, choosing the cheapest fare then not using it. If in business then buy the return in economy.

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

Thank you LP
    Was looking at premium economy and also looked at returns early 2018 to bring costs down.
    Seems like good redemption too on BA via nyc.
    This is all last minute and have purchased too many Atlantic tickets this summer to keep parties happy ?
    Do you have recent experience of terminal transfer at JFK or Newark and required transit period on the basis this will not be a through ticket ?
    Thank you

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Have you looked at Icelandair?

openfly
    Participant

What’s wrong with a simple one-way ticket on Air Transat?

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

Bad experience last time around.
    Best bet is via JKF where BA have good Avios seats.
    Need to know now….suggested connection time and which airline is of preference to connect to.
    AA / AC / DL are all showing availability and a huge saving on paying for a direct ticket.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry ConcordFlyer, I’ve no experience of terminal changes, but from what I’ve heard, allow a minimum of 3, and preferably 4 hours at JFK. If transiting airports then you’ll need a minimum of 5 hours depending on time of day. Good luck with it.

ConcordeFlyer
    Participant

LP.
    Thank you……
    Looks like it will be an early BA to JKF and then a connector 3 hours later to YYZ….
    If any other bright ideas come up before I push the button, then please do share.
    All told for under £500 and 7,000 avios is a good deal…..

capetonianm
    Participant

Have you considered the cheapest possible flight to a USA east coast gateway, probably one of the NYC airports, and then a train or Greyhound up to YTO.

By the way I’ve used Air Transat several times and there’s nothing wrong with their service at all, and at roughly 66% of the price of BA or AC, I was very happy.

JollyFlyer
    Participant

Aer Lingus from Heathrow looks like one of the best options, even cheaper if the journey starts in Dublin. I know they are not a Oneworld Airline but on the plus side it should be a relatively easy connection to make in Dublin.

travelsforfun
    Participant

Guess you’ve looked at Wow (Icelandic low-cost carrier) to YYZ too? And if you’re flying via the US East Coast, Norwegian is worth looking at.

Agree with what’s been said on JFK transfer, time through passport control can be horribly unpredictable, and your transfer time has to include minimum check-in time for the onward flight to Canada (and time to pass through security again). The actual landside transfer between terminals is the easy part – 5-10 minutes with the frequent AirTrain.

GeorgeJ
    Participant

I went through JFK twice earlier this summer connecting to AA transiting for Mexico and vice versa. In both cases I was on the terminal skylink within half an hour of landing and everyone was helpful and courteous. Obviously it isn’t always like this but I was impressed after the horror stories you hear

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Don’t believe the Virgin Atlantic Sale as promoted in BT News….as always their one way fares do not exist….they publish them but then you can’t get them….what a farce, it is still cheaper to get the return and throw half away….sadly no one can no longer pass on the return half for someone else (as used to be possible) pre-paranoia! On a personal note I’d be interested in how LuganoP manages to get an outbound or inbound J with the rest of the ticket in Y?

Fj
    Participant

Don’t even consider JFK unless you can find an option that fits your needs from JFK. Even EWR provides more reliable options. Transferring to LGA just adds time and stress, along with a possibility of missing your connection which, in using a separate ticket and airport, leaves you holding the bag. Check out AC Rouge or Air Transat out of LGW (Gatwick), or as someone said, connections via KEF. If you can avoid US airports and the need to fully clear their immigration/ customs processing – there is no simple “in-transit” at US airports – you’ll have simpler connections over DUB, MAN, YHZ or YUL, even if mixing carriers.

canucklad
    Participant

Concordeflyer,
    We’ve all assumed a London departure,are you close to other airports
    AC rouge might be an option, as well as FR to DUB and EI direct to YYZ.
    What about KLM out of AMS?

Consider backtracking from Hamilton,depending on where you’re staying in greater Toronto it might even be more convenient

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls