Oliver (“Dickensian” BA breakfast service)

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

Travellator
    Participant

I relived the Dickens part on a recent CW BA 380 flight from HKG to LHR.

Breakfast was served and extra bread was being served, I asked for another portion of Marmalade.

In true Oliver fashion I was told emphatically – NO – only one per tray !

K1ngston
    Participant

Not quite as draconian, but many years ago I was travelling on a flight between Novirsibirsk (hope thats the right spelling) and Moscow and it was a new airline set up by a rich guy aiming to take away the Aeroflot business and I was travelling business class!

The flight was travelling at night and I wanted to just put my seat back and get 3-4 hours sleep before landing and had fallen asleep when I was rudely awoken by the stewardess announcing that food was being served! I politely refused saying I wanted to sleep when I was officially told off … “This is business class” she stated “everyone in business class eats our food” and she proceeded to ply my tray with all sorts of unimaginable delicacies …. Just reminded me of your predicament Travellator in your splendour aboard your 380 …….. Fly the flag!!!!!

DerekVH
    Participant

I had the same problem on a recent flight with TG when I was told that they only loaded one jar of caviar per 4 passengers and unfortunately there were only 4 passengers in F on that flight so no second helpings!

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Had an “Oliver” moment on a Cyprus Airways flight from Heathrow a few years ago. Drinks were free and spirits poured from proper bottles, so measures were generous. Decided my brandy and lemonade was a bit strong so asked for more lemonade. For a Cypriot, the FA did a passable impersonation of Mr Bumble with “more lemonade Madam”. Unlike Oliver, my request was granted.

bryanp01
    Participant

LOL I had a similar experience out of Mexico City to NY with American Airlines in 2002 ( Business Class ). I asked for extra nuts ( they were bagged NOT hot and served in a dish) and the most miserable FA virtually threw a bag at me – and said ‘make sure they’re your last, we’re are low on those today’……….I was absolutely flabergasted and swore I’d NEVER travel on AA ever again, and I havn’t.

KarlMarx
    Participant

Travellator

You know those mini pots of marmalade are very expensive and BAs Xmas theme must be ‘Scrooge’ 🙂 Now I am awaiting TominScotland to come along and tell you you never had it so good 😉

TominScotland
    Participant

Funny you should say that, Karl (may I use the familiar with such an august thinker on the social and economic plight of the Dickensian working class as yourself?) – anyway, I was on a BA domestic flight a couple of weeks ago and enjoying the excellent breakfast that is served on these flights when, indeed, my neighbour requested a second marmalade. Not being a partaker of that wonderful Dundee preserve, I offered him my own but the FA quickly chirped in with “No need for that, Sir, we always carry plenty!!!”.

Have a great Christmas and a prosperous New Year, all.

KarlMarx
    Participant

To the simple mind of an economist, this is difficult to grasp

– someone pays a certain amount of money for a domestic flight (of ~ an hour) and gets a full English breakfast and is offered an extra tub of jam

– someone pays a lot more money for an overnight intercontinental flight of many hours (so no choice to eat breakfast beforehand) and gets a breakfast with a warm bacon roll etc and is put in their place for asking for what is available on a much shorter flight, when the passenger has the option of eating before boarding.

How does this make sense?

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

KarlMarx, as an economist I’m sure you can contend with the fact that cabin crew are not homogenous. I’m sure they’re not made to wear collars around their necks, where a non-compliant service response is met by an instantaneous electric shock.

KarlMarx
    Participant

TheRealBabushka – 20/12/2014 12:14 GMT

Why don’t you read my post again? It has nothing to do with the cabin crew response, but rather the underlying service levels.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

KarlMarx, I have and disagree with the premise of your response. You seem to suggest the problem is in the design of the service offering rather than the nature of the individual delivering the service.
    On the contrary if the design is in fact poor, a competent crew would respond in a manner that is forthcoming.

KarlMarx
    Participant

TheRealBabushka – 20/12/2014 12:24 GMT

So how does a competent cabin crew change the availability of a full English breakfast on a domestic hop and the non-availability of the same on a ~12 hour intercontinental overnighter?

Does personality conjure a full English out of the ether?

PeterCoultas
    Participant

It happens even with BA – LGW to Marrakesh the chap in front requested an additional wine only to be told its not possible otherwise we cannot supply all passengers on the return flight!

andystock
    Participant

Never had a problem getting an extra drink on short hauls. I think BA must have the world record for the smallest packet of crisps!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls