Not keen on flying

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Article by Giles Coren in The Times

Welcome aboard this giant metal tube of death

If every airline went the way of Monarch we’d be spared a lot of foul air, pointless holidays and giant chocolate bars

capetonianm
    Participant

Superb writing by a master of hyperbolic bullshit and yet most of what he says is so true.

Unfortunately for most of us flying, with all the unpleasantness of the peripherals, is a necessary evil, in my case to travel between South Africa and Europe several times a year, there really isn’t a practical alternative other than the odd cruise.

For my shorthaul travel I often manage to find, and enjoy, surface transport which is usually a more pleasant experience than airports and flying. It’s also usually costlier, an irony since in the days of my youth, trains and boats were for those on strict budgets, with flying in the 1960s and 70s costing 15-20 times in real terms what it costs now.

Cheap flights have ruined many lovely places, bringing in hordes of low budget, low class, obese chavs and their badly behaved offspring. Fortunately there are still some exclusive places ………..

Flightlevel
    Participant

Makes a point ‘though the pollution is mostly caused by the drive to and from airports and I’ve always needed holidays in a warm climate. Get chocolate from Lidl and only duty free at the airport!
    Wright brothers are still great heroes and have made the world smaller and brought civilisations together and now we can all afford to make the world our oyster.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls