Norwegian to fly Amsterdam-NewYork using KLM slots

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Dutch media has today reported that Norwegian will launch non-stop Amsterdam-New York JFF flights in May.

EC rules (intended to provide more competition on this route) have meant that KLM has transferred a number of slots to Norwegian.

Some keener fares are the likely outcome.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2018/01/klm-agrees-to-give-up-schiphol-new-york-slots-to-norwegian-air/

AMcWhirter
    Participant

KLM’s CEO has today said he wants more short-haul flights to be turned into rail links to free up slots at Schiphol.

According to Peter Elbers a full Schiphol will reduce KLM’s opportunities for expansion.

And the slot shortage is why Norwegian was granted KLM’s slots for its New York service – see abobe.

But the idea of trains replacing short flights is not new.

There were plans a couple of years ago to operate a new high-speed Brussels-Schiphol serve branded as Fyra.

Article in Dutch via Zakenreisnieuws.nl

https://www.zakenreisnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/pieter-elbers-betrouwbare-snelle-trein-kan-korte-vluchten-vervangen

The plan was for KLM to co-operate with the Fyra trains and have check-in facilities either onboard the trains or on arrival at Schiphol.

But Fyra was unpopular with many travellers (including some of our readers) not least because the Italian-built high-speed trains were prone to failure.

The failures were so bad that the Fyra concept was axed and the trains sent back to Italy.

https://nltimes.nl/2017/08/31/italian-rail-company-buy-fyra-trains-ns-report

canucklad
    Participant

A slot shortage at Schiphol, if only BA & LHR had such things to worry about !!!

I wonder if the French government would allow AF to give up slots at CDG in the same manner?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Although Schiphol has so many runways they cannot all be used at the same time (correct me if I am wrong) because of environmental constraints.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

You now have the Thalys trains whicb link Brussels and Schiphol in an hour and a half passing through Antwerp and Rotterdam. I don’t think the Fyra was much faster though there’s no check in facility. I stand corrected, but I don’t think there are any flights now between the cities?

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

LP – Surprisngly KLM continues to offer as many as five flights a day between Brussels and Amsterdam.

Services are operated by Embraer jets. Flight time is 50 to 60 mins.

Flightlevel
    Participant

The sooner short haul routes were operated efficiently by trains the better for all,less airport traffic (cars mainly!) is better for the environment and slots are better used for longhaul.
    Many EU routes have rail ‘though not always efficient, UK rail especially!
    Even in Asia the busy KUL-SIN will one day be a fast rail route.
    Airlines like KLM,etc. will always operate some hub and spoke routes for longhaul – its in their business plan.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

The same situation will continue in summer 2019.

European Commission has again ruled that KLM/Delta (both operate a JV) must hand over Schiphol slots for Norwegian’s New York JFK service next year.

Via Luchtvaartnieuws.nl

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-moet-ook-in-2019-slots-naar-new-york-opgeven

christopheL
    Participant

@ Canucklad
    Only a few days ago the French government gave 3 new weekly slots to Emirates.
    Do I need to say that AF is not very happy with this ?
    But business is business …

canucklad
    Participant

Hi-Fly's first A380 customer will be a "European operator."

I wonder if there’s a correlation in these 2 topics ?

christopheL
    Participant

Any bet ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls