No Gatwick train services on Sundays…..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• openfly
    Participant

…..between Gatwick and Redhill for the next six weeks, apparently. It seems to be bus replacement,and the horrors that entails…derelict buses, struggling with bags and kids.

This happens so frequently that it really is a case of avoid Gatwick particularly at weekends.

Don’t get caught by buying an overly expensive Gatwick Express fare… when there are no “Expresses”!

K1ngston
    Participant

really good to know openfly as I head to the Europe this weekend … Thanks!

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Also note the major engineering work planned for later this year on the line to Brighton/Lewes south of Gatwick which will affect air passengers travelling to the airport (from the south).

The southern section of the Brighton line will be closed for nine days in October 2018 and for nine days in February 2019.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/south-east/brighton-main-line-improvement-project/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/10/brighton-commuters-to-face-18-days-of-closures-for-engineering-work

capetonianm
    Participant

Commuting in and out of LGW and having a son living near Brighton, we long ago accepted the reality of no train services on Sundays. Couldn’t do the bus thing, so we ended up hiring a car, which is a pain, or Ubers, which worked out more expensive but the better option.

openfly
    Participant

@Alex The situation south of LGW has involved bus replacement on weekends since Oct 2017 and still continues. Of course, for the last 5 weekends the northbound M23 has been closed from Friday to Monday as well!
    ….and Gatwick wants a second runway.
    If you are desperate to get to or from London to LGW at the weekend….tube from London to LHR, then fly LHR-AMS-LGW!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=852994]…..between Gatwick and Redhill for the next six weeks, apparently. [/quote]

It’s for 3 Sundays starting this weekend.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=853004] If you are desperate to get to or from London to LGW at the weekend….tube from London to LHR, then fly LHR-AMS-LGW!!![/quote]

Good idea. The last time I was completely messed up by the Gatwick Express (one of several times it’s happened to me – services cancelled and other serious and disruptive problems) I swore to myself I would never take it again. I’m still determined not to.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Which is why I use EasyBus. About £6-7 to get to earls court as long as you book in advance!

openfly
    Participant

Last night M25 exit 7 closed so no access to M23 and LGW AND M23 junct 8 to 9 closed so restricted access from LGW onto M23 southbound.

Yup…avoid Gatwick at all times….it is isolated from the rest of the world frequently!!

SimonS1
    Participant

Looks like Southern Rail have engineered a total disaster.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/see-absolute-carnage-replacement-bus-14335757

capetonianm
    Participant

I can appreciate that it is a grossly mismanaged and potentially dangerous situation but to call it ‘carnage’ is over the top.

K1ngston
    Participant

I flew from Gatwick yesterday I had to hire a car from LHR to get to me feeder flight to Barcelona, granted it was early but I had absolutely no issues straightforward drive around M25 and M23..

My hire car had an issue and I could not open the filler cap to replace petrol and Avis were apologetic dealt with my issue and refunded me for the use of petrol, all in all not a bad experience at all…

As for Gatwick have not flown from South Terminal in years I paid to go through Fast Track, like that idea and that also gave me access to the Number One Lounge super busy as there were a couple of Norwegian delays that was causing a huge pileup but coffee and bacon roll just what the Dr ordered!

I always remember Gatwick as Holiday Central and it has not changed but flight was on time (first time using Vuelling) and Barcelona is magnificent

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls