Newark Immigration to be avoided

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

I just travelled into EWR on a NYC visit. Usually EWR was the easier arrival points where immigration was substantially quicker than JFK.

However this is no longer the case. I was fortunate to be relatively quickly off the plane and had only 15 to 20 people infront of me in the ‘All other passengers’ queue.

Of the 12 or so desks, only 2 were being operated.

The problem is that in EWR, there are no self service kiosks where you can do your own fingerprinting and photo (unlike in JFK, BOS, MIA and other USA entry points) and the officer has to so this for every PAX (at least 1 min processing time is no issue arose).

My last JFK arrivals were both less than 10 mins due to these Kiosks.

By the time I was processed, there wes a lengthy queue of maybe 200 pax behind me and still only 2 operatives.

EWR is now to be avioded, IMHO.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

By coincidence I also just returned from NYC, but in my case arriving at JFK. Also among the first off but still had about 30 people in front of me with just two desks opened.
    Then a third desk opened and a couple were before me with about 6 people behind me. They were quickly processed, then my turn. As I gave him my passport and customs form, he mentioned Bitcoin was down $830 as an alert flashed up on his phone, and I mentioned it had halved since its peak. Then followed a full discussion about crypto currencies lasting about 7 minutes. As I left and turned round there must have been about 50 people in that line! Was interesting though and as I walked to the baggage belt my bag slipped onto the belt so perfect timing for me!

nevereconomy
    Participant

I think the LP experience pretty much sums up the attitude of US officialdom – don’t give a toss about
    the 50 people waiting (I do it because I can) and disturbing lack of focus on the job in hand – in this case a fairly important one.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

To be honest I don’t find EWR too bad for immigration lines. However, it always depends on two (fairly obvious) factors:
    1. How many agents are on duty to process pax
    2. How many other flights have arrived just prior to yours

Last time I entered the US via EWR a little earlier this month, there was literally a handful of people in the queue on arrival in the hall and I was through in 5 minutes.
    In January it was a good 30-40 mins due to another plane having disgorged its contents just before the flight I was on arrived.

I’ve noticed on the two times I’ve used EWR this year that the number of personnel processing was lower than in the past, though have seen a combination of waiting Intl pax being moved down to the domestic lines and other agents slowly but surely enter their cubicles to help the rush.

I wouldn’t chose JFK over EWR for immigration wait times, as in the past T7 could be pretty brutal, along with the main international terminal. Though T7 may be a bit better as CX have moved terminals.

While EWR isn’t perfect, it could be argued many entry points to the US aren’t that great either. Certainly arriving at ORD can be hideous at times. I also find the self service kiosks are not always brilliant, as you queue to use them, then shuffle off and join another queue for an immigration officer to stamp your passport. At MIA recently the latter queue took a fair old while and quite possibly it would have been quicker to have skipped this two step process and waited in the non-ESTA line.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=854518]I think the LP experience pretty much sums up the attitude of US officialdom – don’t give a toss about
    the 50 people waiting (I do it because I can) and disturbing lack of focus on the job in hand – in this case a fairly important one.[/quote]

You’re right, and I didn’t want to say anything as he hadn’t stamped my passport, so felt I had to keep the, admittedly interesting, conversation going until he did!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls