New Korean Air service to Nairobi!

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

sparkyflier
    Participant

I heard Korean Air will be launching a new service to Nairobi, Kenya, maybe 3/4 times a week.

The fligths, most likely by A330-200 will be scheduled to then connect with the huge African network of fellow Skyteam carrier Kenya Airways.

I can see this being very successful and I wonder if they will soon need bigger equipment.

I had thught Kenya Airways would launch this, but
    because of the delay in their (Kenya Airways) new planes arriving – 787, long haul expansion has been put on hold, with them focusing on Africa using their many new 737s.

Soon relief will come to KQ when 773s arrive, to be used on their asias flights, releasing 772s to go to Sao Paulo.

Can see this being a good move for both KE & KQ.

moomin79
    Participant

Seoul Incheon – Nairobi eff 21JUN12 NEW 3 weekly service, Airbus A330-200 operating NONSTOP

http://airlineroute.net/2012/02/01/ke-s12update2/

KSHaggag
    Participant

This will be a GREAT addition to a Great Airline s network !!!!…..with KQ launching SAO Paulo via Luanda shortly ,both carriers can assume a complete RTW journey …..SAO/LAX/ICN/NBO/LAD/SAO …..Great !!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Do you know when KQ will launch GRU? And will they be stopping at LAD on the way there or doing it nonstop? If they are trying to capture Asia-Brazil traffic I would have thught the stop in LAD would not be attractive to the client. Of course there is the Angola – Brazil traffic, but would TAAG be wanting to share that, unless they go in a code share of if TAAG might be coming into Skyteam.

KQ announced GRU a while ago, but was never mentioned or announced on their website.

Also, for Asia-Africa & South America traffic, there is now competition with the new A340-600 flight by SAA from Beijing!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

They’re all copying the likes of EK, EY and QR in connecting Asia with Africa and Latin America. Question is … why haven’t they done it sooner ?

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hey Sparkflyer !

I like your analysis and comments …are you an ex airliner ???….I actually am !..well,…KQ has not yet finalised the date of launch of its Sao Paulo route however I had read Luanda was indeed very probable to be tagged with Sao Paulo …
    Yep..SAA flying now nonstop from JNB to BJS !!!…KQ will still be assuming the role of whisking passengers off from Asia to various points in Africa via Nairobi ..This new KE service is a fantastic addition to the Skyteam network ,I believe ..

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi KSHaggag

Thank you for your kind words about my postings.Am not employed in the industry and have not been , but have always travelled and take an interest in the products and strategy of airlines.

I had thought KQ would start another route in Asia, perhaps Kuala Lumpur, (and still think that would work), especially when it was thought MH might go into Skyteam, not oneworld. That cannot happen uintil the new 773 and 787 arrive, then releasing 767s and enabling new routes to GRU, KUL and I can also see Moscow and Beirut.

Once the US Government decide that Nairobi is a secure airport (which they have decided it is not until now) then flights will start there, although maybe by Delta using their planes.

By the way, this Korea-NBO flight will be the longest on a 330 anyware in the world in terms of flight time, 14 hours!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Sparkyflyer claims that, “this Korea-NBO flight will be the longest on a 330 anywhere in the world in terms of flight time, 14 hours.”

Not sure if this is correct. Both amadeus.net and oagflights.com quote a flight time of 13 hrs 15 mins for Seoul-Nairobi. In which case it is not the longest 330 flight as it is bettered by the 14 hrs 5 mins which HK Airlines’ 330 will take for Hong Kong-Gatwick when this route is launched next month.

sparkyflier
    Participant

LondonCity
    It seems you are right, well spotted! And quickly too!

sparkyflier
    Participant

One thing I must say is it is impossible to find on the KE website, which I find quite poor. On the drop down menu of origin/destination, it does not have an “Africa “option, even though they already fly to Cairo!

KSHaggag
    Participant

Hey Sparkflyer !

Well..yep..it seems we share that same passion of following up on what is going on in the airline world ..we also are both very frequent travellers ,so I believe this thread will be miles long !!!..ha ha aha ..my pleasure !..

Well…yep..as much as I really admire and like KE ,as much as I deem their website rather poor in functionality and not reflecting the image of a world class airline ..Cairo is indeed listed under Middle East alongside Tel Aaviv ,Dubai and Tashkent !!!!!…..yep..their website is very cumbersome but still miles ahead the Asiana Airlines one !!!!!!…..in terms of functionality and ease and friendliness to use I give thumbs up to CX site even for rebookings /reissues and recalculation of fares ..it is JUST MARVELOUS !!!!!!…..it can also give you the info that upon a reissue the airline owes you an amount if the new itin is cheaper than the original one ..anyway ..back to our beloved KE ,I would have expected the NBO route to be an extension to their current ICNBOM route optd by A333 ….

Sparkflyer ,if I may just share your email address ,I have a lot of interesting articles that I can share with you since the airline business is indeed your passion ..my pleasure!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls