New BA/Oneworld Baggage Rules

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

@BrotherJim – as far as I can see it won’t make any difference on ex-EU trips.

To the best of my knowledge in most cases baggage is already checked separately for positioning flights. Either because different airport is used for the ex-EU flights, or because where LHR is used both ways you can’t have the airport twice on the baggage tag.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Or, if you are doing a positioning flight to the continent before returning directly back to LHR, they see sense and allow you to check direct from LHR to wherever you are going.

Senior management has made this request no few times over the years and has never been forced into taking her bags with her to the continent to check-in there and then return back to LHR with her ex-continental bags following her.

BA744fan
    Participant

On the phone to BA for 30 minutes so far. Asked them if they could book me on to later flight to give more time to clear immigration, collect bags and check in again. No!

Despite it being an issue due to their change in interline policy, they couldn’t care less. Absolute tossers.

christopheL
    Participant

You should remind BA that you bought your tickets at a time when the former rule was still applicable. This means that when you buy your tickets it was possible to check-in your luggage all the way even with 2 different tickets and 2 PNR.
    Therefore BA should deliver you the service you paid for which means that they would either change your flight or they should make it sure that you will be able to check-in your luggage all the way.

BA744fan
    Participant

That’s exactly what I did do. I also had to explain the new interline policy as they didn’t have a clue. I also told them to expect a lot of similar calls from irate passengers who now find themselves in a similar position.

Have resorted to send a twit to Alex Cruz but don’t suppose that will make any difference. BA simply don’t care.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

BA744Fan

“BA simply don’t care.”

I am really sorry that you had to find out the hard way and hope that you manage to get a reasonable response to your reasonable request.

onajetplane
    Participant

Will be such a shame if this actually becomes enforced. I very regularly book oneworld flights to/from London and then use avios for the hop over to BHD. At 4000/4500 miles for a route that can easily run at £200+ o/w, I find it not only an excellent use of avios, but also extremely convenient knowing my bags will be checked through. Its these little small things… ugh…

SGJNI1961
    Participant

Getting to BHD or any where beyond London is now a major issue if this totally stupid rule is enforced, but, as a BA GCH, I think I have a solution. Unless you live inside the M25, fly with QR where possible. What is left for BAEC members? Lounge access? Ask QR? Hard product? Ask CX or QR or QA or AA sometimes. Fly with someone else. The planes might be full ( and I’m a shareholder) but it’s not fun anymore when your “home” airline wants to screw you!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Hmm, I am wondering whether IAG/BA might be just about to run into a perfect storm. It is not out-with the bounds of possibility to think of the following circumstances arising in the aftermath of a suicidal Vote Leave.

1. A severe contraction in the UK economy – as is conceded by most Brexiter “experts” including Farridge (who has publicly stated that other people’s job losses to be “a price worth paying”) leading to a fall in traffic.
    2. Losses of high-spending/earning corporate jobs as European headquarters are either closed down in London or are severely pared back, leading to a fall in premium traffic.
    3. The progressive decamping of €-denominated financial business away from London – with the associated jobs, leading to a further fall in premium traffic.
    4. The imposition of a full blown two-way visa regime arising from “take control of our borders”, leading to a substantial fall in traffic to and through hub London.
    5. Substantial reductions in cargo revenues because of lower trade volumes after the UK’s expulsion from the Single European market because of (4) above and the associated ending of the free movement of people’s.

Just the time at which to impose these counter-productive and potentially costly changes.

I wonder whether there are any squeeky bums at the Waterside in contemplating such a prospect.

BA744fan
    Participant

Alternatively the world won’t stop spinning next Friday and it will be BAU with new opportunities for British industry to spread its wings in to new, less bureaucratic markets.

Back on topic now maybe………………

Reeferman
    Participant

Hmm, I am wondering whether IAG/BA might be just about to enjoy a perfect scenario. It is not outside the bounds of possibility to think of the following circumstances arising in the aftermath of a fantastic Vote Leave

1. A boom in tourism for the UK economy – as is conceded by most Bremain “experts”, the £ will weaken. This will make UK a highly (financially) attractive place for overseas tourists to travel
    2. Increased travel from UK as highly-driven entrepreneurs and businesses are finally able to negotiate trade with numerous countries around the world – trade that has been restricted by the narrow-minded and narrow-focused EU
    3.Growth in business opportunities in the UK leading to more premium travel from potential investors in the new highly-motivated UK
    4. Increased tourism from the UK as salaries that have been artificially kept low by massive levels of immigration gradually begin to increase
    5. Substantial increases in cargo revenues because of higher trade volumes as a result of the UK’s newly-found competitiveness – driven in part by the competitive prices now available for UK exports as a result of the £ devaluation

I wonder whether there are any excited bums at Waterside in contemplating such a prospect.

christopheL
    Participant

Coming back to the topic with an eye on Brexit issues I wonder if Brexit will have any consequences on the new Baggage rules …

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

ChristopheL

You start by hacking off your loyal customer base, then run smack into wider issues of political economy which undermine your business plan and …bang! What price customer loyalty when you then need it?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Reeferman – 18/06/2016 17:24 BST

At last, Patrick Minford has found someone who agrees with him. It’s just that almost nobody else who has ever studied economics and/or the real world does:

The ‘Britain Alone’ scenario: how Economists for Brexit defy the laws of gravity

And that is before consideration is given to the long-term self-harm of any Brexit vote:

http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/cp477.pdf

The FT’s accidental statistician Tim Harford’s “More or Less” on the EU referendum debate on BBC Radio 4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07jczmc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07jl61s

Just one specific question: can you explain to everyone how, if EU trade “has been restricted by the narrow-minded and narrow-focused EU” (sic), that Germany is the world’s leading exporting economy with a current account surplus of 7% of GDP whereas the UK has a (chronic) current account deficit of 7% of GDP? German and UK companies are both subject to the same international trade rules…

I daresay that you won’t take it from “experts” so how about Boris Johnson providing an answer:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10052646/Quitting-the-EU-wont-solve-our-problems-says-Boris-Johnson.html

What’s that expression…? Oh yes: there’s none as blind as will not see.

Happy to take bets on my outlook. Anyone prepared to act as bookie?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 101 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls