Mysterious GPS glitch may be anti-drone measure

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Fascinating…. and worrying.

Mysterious GPS glitch may be anti-drone measure

edited – works now

MartynSinclair
    Participant

the glitch appears to have moved to this thread – cant open it..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Oh yes. Another for the list

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This is what worries me about driverless cars. The GPS signal going rogue!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Slightly off topic, but…

I heard of some amateur wanna-be sailors, who took out a motorboat, ran out of fuel, and found themselves drifting towards a lee shore.

They knew enough to phone the life guard, but not enough to give their position using the instruments on board.

Luckily (!) they had removed their sat nav from their car before they set off, so they turned it on and gave their co-ordinates.

This confused the lifeguard, since it showed them already well aground and in fact in a beach car park.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=830411]This confused the lifeguard, since it showed them already well aground and in fact in a beach car park.[/quote]

I think Tom that they had not allowed time for the GPS to lock onto the satellites, so it showed where they were when they turned the GPS off.
    I assume they got rescued in the end?

As a matter of interest, there is an APP called Polaris Navigation which is great for showing exact location, as well as speed, height and loads of other stuff. It’s worth a look and I use it to track my flight while en-route.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry to divert topic. It was this thread that caused the error, so I’m trying to see if it happens again!

No it didn’t so feel free to delete this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=830411]This confused the lifeguard, since it showed them already well aground and in fact in a beach car park.[/quote]

just remembered, I quoted part of your text so trying again.

Nope. didn’t replicate it!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls