My first retirement post – buying a new aircraft

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Martyn

I heard that the Meridien was a very different beast to the Malibu, in a good way.

How did your father like it?

Charles-P
    Participant

Thank you to everyone for the interest shown. To answer some of the questions posed

The aircraft are indeed on the FAA register and yes if I do buy one of those I will be re-registering in Europe. My lawyer is looking into options and Luxembourg looks like a good choice for tax reasons, if however I purchase an aircraft currently registered in a EU country I will probably leave it as it is to save on the paperwork.

With regard to crew for the trip back to Europe I already have a number of offers including a retired UK Air Vice Marshal who is just itching to get back in the air 🙂

It will be for just family use although in time my son will also start to share the flying with me when he returns from the US.

I did look at twin jets and recently flew the new Honda Jet which is a very nice aircraft but there is a real lack of space unless one goes up to the larger aircraft and the costs start getting silly. The Cessna Citation Mustang was also very pleasant but again cramped inside compared to the Pilatus. It is the space of the Pilatus which makes it so appealing.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Martyn, I stand suitably corrected and chastised. Aeroplane it is indeed 😉

I think Charles is right to go for the Single Turboprop. More space and lower operating costs are compelling reasons. True, the twin jets are faster but it does not make a big difference on the sort of journeys it seems Charles will make.

I hope we get a trip report on the Atlantic crossing?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Trip report might read

Online Check In : Had to remember where I parked my plane so arrived at the airport 3 hours before departure to clear security. Ted and his dog were on duty at the gate – waived through. Found my aeroplane parked where I thought I’d left it

Lounge Access – Took out my hamper from (insert high end shop name), laid out a picnic blanket and sat next to the plane on the lovely grass that had obviously been cut they day before giving off that lovely fresh cut-grass smell. Decided to board plane 2 hours early as radioed control tower – told nothing else due to take off / land so ready to go whenever I wanted.

Cabin crew. I didn’t greet myself and the captain (me) bolted straight for the cockpit. Didn’t get the CSM (my wife / partner) thanking me for my loyalty over the years. Very disappointed.

IFE – Hell I’m flying a plane – who needs IFE.

Baggage – Eejit features forgot to load the stuff back at departure. Having to Fed-Ex them over but that will take a couple of days. Will try and claim on my travel insurance.

Would I fly My Private Plane Again – Yes
    Would I recommend to Others – Yes

Edited to Add:

Reward Flights – I can redeem travel whenever I want so this side of the program is great and never been an issue. But the Fuel Surcharges are a tad expensive and really in this day and age of $45 dollar a barrel fuel it still isn’t acceptable to pay a fuel “surcharge” on “redeeming” my Private Jet.

PhilipHart
    Participant

Charles-P
    Participant

TimFitzgeraldTC – I see you have flown with me before 🙂

In fact our in flight catering is courtesy Mrs P who does a mean line in homemade sausage rolls for most European travel.

Your remark about “Ted and his dog” was not that wide of the mark when I used to fly from Biggen Hill – there it was in reality Dave and his dog who used to share with me his views on immigration, Chelsea football club and the weather whenever I flew from there.

I find that turbulence can result in complaints including one memorable time when having fought for nearly twenty minutes to keep our previous aircraft in the blue stuff my then 12 year old daughter remarked loudly,

“I am trying to read here !”

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Brilliant Tim… however.. you forgot to mention the availability of reward flights….:)

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Tim +1!

If CharlesP doesn’t mind me hijacking his thread a little, a question I have often asked myself is what would I buy as my personal aircraft if I had the cash?

As much as an A380 would seem to offer the most space, it might be too much for one person and besides you’d need a lot of staff and not every airport could take it.

I would be thinking of something in the 8-12 seat range so that I could take friends and family if need be. Years ago, the HS125 seemed to be about right but I wonder what would be the right choice these days?

Rockhopper
    Participant

Charles P – re registration

I may be a little bias as I do quite a bit of work with them but providing the aircraft won’t be used for public charter then the IOM operates an excellent and cost effective aircraft register for private and corporate aircraft – and if its your thing you can choose your own reg beginning M-.

If its of any interest to you I can put you in touch with people who can assist. Their website is https://www.gov.im/ded/Aircraft/

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tim – Nice one 😉

Charles-P
    Participant

Rockhopper – it’s clear you and my lawyer are off a similar mind as he has also suggested the IoM. The only reason that Luxembourg is potentially better for me is because I have a couple of ‘letter box’ companies there I own that would be the legal owner of the aircraft.

Turning to the question posed by Bath_VIP – what would I have if money was no object ?

When I was still active in business and traveling a lot I would say the Dassault 7X, an aircraft that has the ability for global travel, a large comfortable cabin, reasonable running costs, a rough and short runway capacity and would still be something I could fly from time to time for enjoyment.
    Now that I’m retired and if I did have money to burn I would still choose the Dassault but I would also have a Spitfire for fun, a Mark 24 with the 2100bhp Rolls-Royce Griffon 85 engine and pressurised cockpit.

Incidentally Supermarine never knew how much it cost to build a Spitfire because they were paid on a wartime basis but on the one occasion when the aircraft were sold new on a commercial deal the price was £12,604 (Estonian order for 12 Spitfires in 1939). Currently a Spit will change hands for around £3 million

The most valuable is thought to be Spitfire P7350. Operated by the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire. It is the only surviving Spitfire from the Battle of Britain still flying and has an estimated value of £5 million.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Charles-P

Brilliant – nearly went for the name Dave as well! I think best to let the forum know that I have not indeed flown with you in the past – but good luck on your potential purchase.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Wouldn’t an early mark Spitfire be more fun than a Mk24?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Bath_VIP

if money was no object, a Gulfstream 650 over a Dassault Falcon 7x anyday of the week.

The 7x may be $12 mil cheaper (but hey, money is no object), the 650 beats the 7x in terms of payload, distance and cabin size. The 7x is slightly faster but with a smaller range, will need to refuel on the longer routes.

Admittedly though, the 7x is the more technically advanced aircraft, but with both aircraft needing professional crews, (this is not an aircraft to be flown by a non professional pilot), I will be happy to sit in the back, sipping champers and tucking into the buffet supplied by Mrs P….

Charles-P
    Participant

Something new to add to the mix with regard my original post here. An email I received this morning suggesting I also look at the Piaggio P180 Avanti, this is an aircraft I have little experience with – has anybody flown in one and could provide some feedback ?

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls