My first Alitaila/Sky Team experience…. Very positive (Y+ and J)

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

I recently needed to get to NYC at short notice for a 2.5 day trip, booking only 3 days in advance but wanted a little comfort ex ZRH.

Skyscanner threw up a few connection with Skyteam (I am BA gold and Swiss silver so not a Skyteam person) at very favourable pricing in Econ plus.

Out with Alitalia via Rome and back wihh Air France all for EUro 1150 !

Surprisingly the ZRH to FCO leg was in Business (bonus)

I researched the Alitaila Y+ product and it seemed decent by comparison (A330) and the return with AF was in a A380 (I secured an exir row)

The short leg to FCO from Zurich was a joy, with a decent hot meal on a 1820 departue and plenty of room on the 319.

As a complete surprise, at the Gate for the JFK connection I got upgraded to business (surprise since I only joined the Milemaglia programme the day before). The J product was definitely an improvement on BA Club.

ON the return 3 days later, I checken in at AF in JFK and had read I could pay to enter the AF lounge (US$50) as a Y+ PAX. This I did and as I was paying at the ticketing desk I enquired about a paid for upgrade. Agent said yes for what seemed to be a fixed fee of Euro 350. I thouht about it (I had an exit row in Y+ on the A380) and decided yes.

I have to say, on reflection the AF J [hard] product on the A380 was not very impressive. I had no privacy with it being a 2-2-2 config (would have been fine If I was travelling with a known companion) but now in J an element of privacy (even like BA J) is becoming the norm (Alitaila J had this) . The AF soft product was fine with good service despite it being a late 2150hrs JFK departure (equivalent BA departures seem to have the crew do a 45 min sint and then darken the cabin). The AF crew seemed to do 2-3 hours. I got a few hours sleep so all told the paid-for upgrade was worth doing (although I’d give it some thought in future)

So and a first Skyteam experience, I have to say I was impressed and will definitely consider this again, especially at the price.

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Good review SwissExPat.

I used Alitalia from FRA-NRT last month and was equally surprised at how good it was. FRA-FCO in each direction offered a very good hot meal, LH offer one too but this was a notch above LH in terms of offering and quality. The longer sectors were comfortable and the service very good, the food and wines being a very strong point along with the crew who I would describe as kind and thoughtful.

The fare, booked at relatively short notice was about half of the LH fare. The cabin was about 95% full outbound and 90% full on the longhaul return. The short sectors were full in both classes.

I’ll certainly use them again

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The issue for Alitalia is whether or not it can provide reliable service all the time.

Yet another strike is taking place today.

https://www.thelocal.it/20170405/two-in-five-alitalia-flights-are-cancelled-due-to-airline-strike?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls