Mosquito bites – top tip

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

• Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad – you will have to explain “floatie” – is this ice-cream related???

canucklad
    Participant

Floatie, might be a Melbourne term….tried my first one at an Aussie rules final at the MCG

In Sydney they might be better known as a Pie floater…. think meat pie, with mushy peas just under the crust topped with gravy!!!

For the full experiance, grab the squeezable ketchup bottle and stab through the top of the crust and squeeze to taste!

Brilliant hangover cure

brummiedj
    Participant

I live in Thailand, and though I cannot offer much advise on how to prevent the buggers sucking you dry, I can fortunately say ‘Tiger Balm’ is the most effective remedy for the itching, also it’s uses have no bounds… headache – rub on temples, muscle ache – rub on muscles to sooth, cold – rub on chest or sniff to clear blocked noses (bit like vics).

Cheap and available in almost every boots (if in europe) and in asia every street side shop…trust me, once you try u will always have a small jar next to you!

Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad@11:58

LOL! Way off then with ice-cream! yeuch sounds the perfect football halftime snack for you boys! I believe they also have great fish n chips at Doyles at Manly?

We have had some great food here and am currently sitting out on a sun-kissed deck pre-supper, enjoying a very cold ginger beer with some locally grown macadamia nuts listening to the silence if you know what I mean! And to keep on topic, light spray of Avon skin so soft!

I love Australia!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sounds like you’re having a great time Papillion, I envy you. Never been to Australia so must put it on the list of things to do before I die.

That sounds like a good thread so I may start it if no- one else does. Off now to watch the rugby. Boks v All Blacks.

PatrickRowe
    Participant

I agree with brummiedj Tiger Balm is best and much cheaper than cigars or rubbing yourself with rum. Any spray containing DEET is IMHO 100% effective. I have used it in tropical Africa, India, Thailand Laos etc.
    My Canadian sister-in-law who plays golf in that midge infested country says that standing with both arms raised above ones head keeps the midges away but does nothing for your score!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but in S. Africa we have “Peaceful Sleep”. Spray and stick, it works wonders in keeping off Mozzies, ticks etc.

Deleted_User
    Participant

Be careful LP with the cigar(ette) remedy. I think I have left a scar on my wrist for life! But very effective.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Well, LP, it’s been mentioned a few times now. Is your “enter” button stuck?

I agree with PatrickRowe, nothing like DEET to keep the little buggers at bay

For the aftermath, Mopiko (widely available in Asia) is an ointment equivalent of Tiger Balm (green and white tube), and they do a slightly gentler version for children (pink and white tube)

skywards
    Participant

I always use Tiger balm…I also bring it back from Thailand for my sister who goes to the deepest, darkest, parts of Africa. We both use Deet 55 and Deet 100..when the mossies are a real problem.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I was being paid by Peaceful Sleep to promote them Ian ;-). Thanks for pointing it out and I’ve now deleted the multiple posts. It’s happened to me a few times before and also to some other posters who also use iPads. Not sure why it does that?

Thanks for the warning Simon, I was very careful and did not burn myself. I suppose for non-smokers a burning coal or a hot charcoal from the grill would be just as effective though how you’d hold it I don’t know!

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Skin so soft….budgies….DEET 100……South Africa……Oz….Queensland….Port Douglas…..Sydney Shangri-La…..Tiger Balm….quite the most entertaining, and enlightening post/thread I have read in a long time…..very, very amusing…..a real gem!!

I’m having a dirty Martini in the Tapas bar at the Kowloon Shangri-la and wishing I had the energy to get involved in this post/thread…..whatever it should be called.

Deleted_User
    Participant

Cheers James!

Spare a thought for us here where summer is well and truly over…

Enjoy!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

JamesMoloney5, if you are venturing over to civilisation on HK Island tomorrow, let me know and I will take you for a proper dirty martini!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls