Mosquito bites – top tip

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

WOW!!! :o) but dark or light rum?

EnigmaticStar
    Participant

I don’t usually get that many as they don’t like me for some reason. I usually take garlic supplements and when I was in Florida in May I didn’t get bitten at all. A friend of mine swears by gin and they too didn’t get touched!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Right on Charles, and it’s been freezing! Masses of rain and to think I left a 33 c Lugano!

Canuck, I’d like to put on record I’ve never shot any Swallows. In fact I’ve never shot any animal, and don’t even kill spiders. Not sure where you got that idea from? I love wildlife and visitors to our home have seen Elephant, young deer, baboons, leopard, porcupines, Eagles, Hawks and much more. And we’re not even in a game park!

canucklad
    Participant

LP …Only in jest –just remembered you’re compatriot in HK…. and you’re making me feel jealous..apart from the weather…glorious sunshine here in Bonnie Scotland today…. I too love animals and will move bugs rather than kill….unlike the better half who is a kiling machine…Spiders don’t stand a chance against her swift and brutal attacks.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ah! It’s called a zanza-click, you can buy it in Boots:

http://www.boots.com/en/Zanza-Click_228908/

Binman62
    Participant

Only the Skin so Soft “Original” in the Green bottle works, not the Pink (Soft and Sensual) bottle.

That will explain why Mrs Binman still bitten extensively! She brought the pink bottle!

Vitamin B never worked for her either. I get bitten and itch for an hour then it passes. I find sand flies the worst with two awful encounters in New Zealand and Borneo…..though the mighty Scottish midge is a close runner up!

Papillion53
    Participant

Skin So Soft Original now in what looks like white/silver bottles with green writing but states original on them!

Anyway 3 for £4.99 right now on Avon online – so 3 bottles winging their way to the Land of midges! So hope this stuff works! 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Papillion, i hope you’re enjoying Australia? Our resident Swallows have just returned. They obviously left Europe early so prepare for a long, cold winter!

Finally got bitten by a mossie, must say the cigarette (in my case cigar) tip worked amazingly well. Cannot see who wrote that now, it must have been removed, perhaps it contravened H&S laws?

watersz
    Participant

when i lived in za we use to call them budgies (mozzies)

Papillion53
    Participant

Hi Mr LP! Just turned on my iPad and phone for the first time in just over two weeks tonight! Australia wonderful – even enjoyed our red centre outback camping trip – oh yes Mrs P in a swag around the campfire, great fun, extremely comfortable and those night skies and stars, simply amazing!

My trusty Avon skin so soft has not let me down, from red centre to GBR and now working our way down through QLD and NSW, this bottle of oil has kept me bite free including those really nasty sand flies!

When I get back I will write a report on our flights from BA F, to our tiny Cessna in the GBR with a pilot who looked like he was about 15! I know you’re getting old when the bobbies start to look young, but hey this was a whole new take!!! LOL!

Funnily enough we spotted a couple of swallows here this morning, but I am ready for “empty skies” and thermals when we get home! 😉

For those of you kind enough to suggest a “last night in Sydney hotel”, we had a superb lunch at Otto at Woolloomooloo, and while there had a look around Blue Sydney (Taj hotel) and the staff were so welcoming and gave us a great tour, so we booked it on the spot and they gave us a great rate and comp upgrade!

As they say here ” G’day” and have a great one wherever you are in our world! 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

Making me jealous Papillion….

Hope you managed to get up as far north as daintree and Port Douglas?

Did you do King’ s Canyon in the Red Centre ?

Papillion53
    Participant

Canucklad – went up to Lizard Island so the DH could go out chasing those elusive Black Marlin! Hence the very small aircraft! We had originally planned to go to the Daintree area but when Marlin was mentioned, plans changed! 😉 🙂

Didn’t go up and around King’s Canyon – took one look at all those steps and my knees went no, no, no! LOL! but walked along the creek into the Canyon – just beautiful and I think the look up was outstanding. Walked in the Kata Tjutas – valley of the winds – simply breathtaking but it was hot. Did part of the base walk around Uluru trying to avoid the hordes of Japanese tourists rushing everywhere and being herded around on big tour buses with tour guides blowing whistles to gather them up.

SenatorGold
    Participant

@papillion53

As the person who first recommended the Blue Sydney to you, I’m really happy and relieved you weren’t disappointed 🙂

canucklad
    Participant

If you have a chance before you leave, jump n the Manly ferry and have a “floatie” on the sea front….very oz thing to do…

And dont forget to bring back the obligatory jar of Vegemite..

Annoying things to do at breakfast!!

Papillion53
    Participant

SenatorGold – thanks and I’ll let you know how it goes when we stay there, but if first impression are anything to go by ….. They will look after us very well. And of course Otto for our last night’s dinner!

We had our initial stay at the Shangri la and it was great, such comfortable bed and the most amazing view out of our window taking in the whole harbour bridge/opera house view – the DH has his binos (see have picked up the Aussie slang mate) and we sat and watched the people doing the bridge climb – it seemed hundreds every day! We arrived at the Shangri la at 0545 and and not only did they happily check us in but gave us a very nice upgrade too. 🙂

We also worked out the “secret route” to avoid walking up and down the very steep hill up to the Shangri la, and there’s a nice little pub round the corner for some good honest pub food and great beers (so said the DH ;-))

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls