Mosquito bites – top tip

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

• Anonymous

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Avon Skin So Soft… this recommended for prevention of midges’ bites also used by the British Army!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/midge/

http://avonshop.co.uk/beauty/b/bath-and-bodycare/skin-so-soft.html

Papillion53
    Participant

Not mossies but the midges this year have been unbearable – there are clouds of them in the garden and I put it down to, in part, the lack of swallows this year. We usually have at least 3 swallow nests but none this year and usually lots more overhead and presumably eating all the pesky midges. But much less this year.

Apparently it’s affected the number of tourists in Scotland – particularly campers! Can’t imagine why! πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

What did you do to the poor swallows Mr LP when they were down in South Africa???

yes BB I’ve heard about Avon skin so soft as well – should really try it as I get bitten to distraction.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have one of these “clicker” things; no idea what its called but it sorts them out a treat.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It’s winter so not seen any Swallows yet!

Peaceful Sleep, stick and spray is a wonderful product and very effective in keeping the mossies away. Only seen it here in S. Africa. When bitten I use Anti Bite, but it seems less effective since they made it “gentler”. Anyone else noticed that?

Now asking the chemist to make a more potent ammoniac solution, maybe 6%, but will try the ciggie thing first. Wonder if it works with cigars?

handbag
    Participant

Only the Skin so Soft “Original” in the Green bottle works, not the Pink (Soft and Sensual) bottle.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A mosquito free night enjoyed Charles. But it is winter here in S. Africa!

Enjoy your first cigar. A Cohiba is a good way to start, but remember to savour, not inhale. Practice blowing rings and watch the world gently pass by!

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

Travel with my wife, they always go for her!!

watersz
    Participant

Sweat is perfume to a mozzie
    Always get a shower before bed to avoid waking up with a face like a short novel in braille

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Is that an offer G & T? πŸ˜‰

Seriously, are you a marmite eater? I am, mrs. LP not and they tend to go for her. My younger boy loves Marmite the elder not and they go for the elder one. Maybe Charles’s point about vit. B holds true.

canucklad
    Participant

Like Beck Boop i would also recommend ” Skik so Soft” vand Papillon this may answer your question to LP

What did you do to the poor swallows Mr LP when they were down in South Africa???

Met a big burly Afrikaan banker after the HK’7’s in Wanchai…who invited me and my pals to his ranch….. where we could shoot birds…many birds …

Thats whats happened to our swallows !!! Big Franz and LP has shot them all!!!.

Papillion53
    Participant

Canuck lad. Well all I can say is they must be pretty damn good shots if they can shoot swallows! πŸ˜‰

I remember watching an excellent documentary a few years ago about the swallows journey from Europe to Africa and somewhere they roost for the night, and I can’t remember where, they were a local delicacy. The local people put long poles out with sticky stuff on the end, so when the poor birds came down they were well and truly stuck, and swiftly (;-)) dispatched! Can’t be much eating in a swallow! Does anyone know where this was?

Anyway I miss ‘my’ swallows as again this morning the midges were swarming around and of course follow the dogs (much panting so much carbon dioxide which attracts them as does a heat source) which makes it even worse.

CharlesQ – thanks for starting this thread really interesting and as I have no intention of taking up cigar smoking, off to order some of that Avon stuff.

It’s apparently the sweetness they like, so that why Mrs LP and me suffer – two sweet girls! LOL! πŸ˜‰

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Try burning Citronella candles in the garden, you can pick these up in most garden centres/DIY shops and some supermarkets.

Papillion53
    Participant

BB – I have these everywhere in fact I have one burning right now at the back door – stops the little bs coming inside! πŸ™‚

And unlike mosses you don’t hear the midges, at least if you hear whining you know you’ve got a female mossie and biting is on her agenda.

Only the females bite LOL!

pixelmeister
    Participant

Rum is allegedly a good way of soothing mossie bites. When I first heard this I thought it meant drinking copious quantities of the stuff, which had little effect on the bites and gave a wicked hangover. Then realised that one was supposed to rub it on the affected area – did seem like a waste, but oddly enough worked.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls