Missed flight due to security queue

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

craigwatson

I don’t think it is as simple as you write.

The passenger has no contract with the security personnel and pays the airline a security charge for this service, which pays the organization contracted to deliver the service.

If the airline accepts the passenger for the flight (i.e. they drop their bags at the desk), then as far as I can see (and if the pax can demonstrate that they failed to make the gate by the cut off point due to the slowness of the security queues alone), then the airline has (in my non legally trained opinion) failed in it’s general duty to ensure that the passenger could reasonably comply with the contractual terms.

I would feel comfortable arguing this at the small claims court in the UK, where my track record is played 4 won 4.

craigwatson
    Participant

i think people are making this more difficult than it needs to be. Are you really going to just sit in the queue twiddling your thumbs as your flight departs or do something about it.

As ive said in other posts this society is going to the dogs! its not my fault, it’s always someone elses fault! everyone knows that the gates close at a certain time before departure (it’s on your boarding pass).

so make sure you are there or accept the consequences of your action. what if its not security, but long queues waiting for your duty free purchase that makes you late to the gate, should the airline be held accountable for that as well?

As well, there is no way for an airline to know you were stuck in security and not shopping. Unless they go to the CCTV to see when you left checkin to when your clear security, and i dont think anyone would advocate this, so what are they to do? just accomodate everyone who shows up late?

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

craig

I normally agree with your thinking, but in this case I don’t.

The contract either applies or it does n’t apply.

If the airline wishes to rely on the entitlements of the contracts, it must also fulfill its obligations.

Duty free is clearly a different case and is a meaningless example to give.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Passengers suffer queues, crew suffer from queue jumping!

In the main the check in on time, has been resolved as Airlines have implemented a plethorea of options, from online check in, kerb side bag drop, desk check in, increased staff. The likelihood of now having to q for more then say 15-20 minutes for check in, unless there is an exceptional casue, such as bad weather etc, is minimal. Most people know and can judge check in times.

The security lines though are a different story. It is impossible to prejudge. As I was caught at DFW for over 2 hours recently at US immigration, there were reports that at another airport, US immigration took a mere 10 minutes.

Getting through security is currently guess work and I dont think the answer is to try to push forward as that will be down to an indivuduals personality as to whether they feel able.

We all know security is important, but as has been said on numerous occasions, it is open to abuse, failures and unacceptable delays.

If the airlines are paying for a service i.e. the airport authoirty to screen passengers for security, I think it is down to the airlines to demand service standards from the airport authority. Passengers have timings to be at check in and I think it is only reasonable that if a passenger is in a security line within X minutes of departure, they should be processed in sufficient time.

Getting passengers processed through airports smoothly and efficiently is the main focus. One possible solution would be to provide a passenger with a guaranteed maximum process time by bringing in an earlier check in time.

For example, take Easy who allow a 30 minute check in. For passengers who check in 90 minutes before boarding and enter the security line – or a seperate security line, up to 75 minutes before boarding, in return, they should be given a guarantee that they will be proceesed through security in time.

Whislt I sympathise with Jim at the top of the post, what he doesnt mention are the timings of when check in was and how long before boarding the security line was entered.

I think most of us know that minimum check in times will be a challenge for some security lines.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

You mke an interesting point about guranteed processing time.

Here is an extract fm easyJet’s carriers regulations concering check-in

“Check-in at the Airport

Passengers should present themselves at the appropriate check-in desks, which will normally open two hours before the scheduled time of departure.

Passengers who present themselves later than 40 minutes prior to scheduled time of departure will not be accepted for travel, and will forfeit their seats. It is recommended that you check in two hours before the scheduled time of departure. Passengers must be able to quote their booking reference. “

Recommended is an interesting word. easyJet might also recommend that they print the booking reference out or wear sunglasses on a bright day, but once ‘accepted for travel’, if the sub cotracted security service prevents the pax making the gate dealdine, I don’t see anything excusing the airline from liability.

Maybe a judge would reduce the claim if the passenger did not turn up at -2 hours, but even then I am not sure about that, as s/he may well say that recommending, not guaranteeing is passing the buck and is unreasonable.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

DoS

Whilst we all (myself included on numerous occasions) look towards the courts, it would be appear far simpler and far better customer service if a guaranteed processing time could be implemented.

On the numbers your post provides. Agree check that if your boarding pass has a check in sticker dated prior to 90 minutes before departure, then there is a guaranteed processing through security.

There are other advantages for the airport besides speedier processing times. The airside shops will get the benefit.

I also think that the 40 minute check in time is missleading becasue as this disucssion is showing, it does not provide a gurantee that you will still be able to travel.

Over to the airlines to discuss with the airports.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Martyn

Good points. Court is a poor way to handle something like this.

Rabbz_Staralliance
    Participant

For the other poster that found considerable persons in front of you … it’s good for you. Unfortunately, my UA connection @ Dulles Intl Airport wasn’t that nice. I missed the flight by 3 minutes after enduring with the super long immigration and x-ray q’s. The best experience on close call connecting flights always happen in Japan. Take a typical busy afternoon at the airport for an example, as you get of the plane, there will be agents … “Japanese” agent waiting for you. If you didn’t found one there, you will found one in front of the x-ray q’s dragging you to the front of the line in attempt to make you not miss your flight. Even on the gate level, there will be several (yep several Japanese agents) running around the terminal trying to find the late incoming passenger. That’s the reason why I always choose to transit via Japan whenever I have choices.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Airports with the security check at the gate holding areas are less likely to make the passengers missing their flights UNLESS they go off shopping or doing something else rather than reporting to the gate area at the required boarding time.

I have once missed my BA flight from CDG to LHR when BA moved to Terminal 2A and I checked in at the counter 1 hour and 20 minutes and it was still not long enough. Same thing happened to me in LHR last year, I now make a habit of arriving earlier so as to allow for the possible security delay as I feel it is MY duty to make sure that I get on the plane!. Just have more food and drink in the lounge and surfing the web!!!

Smooth boarding!

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I was travelling from LHR-PRG via ZRH with LX in business class in March. There was 50 mins between flights at Zurich and we were 25 mins late departing due to weather delays. In flight captain advised most departing flights would be delayed and flights would be held wherever possible and read the list of connections. I joined the Business Class security queue and pointed out my flight was leaving in 10 mins by the time we were bussed to terminal and I was through immigration. I was told that all would be fine.. I got to the gate 5 mins after departure to find it empty. I asked a nearly staff member and they advised that there had been a gate change which I hadnt noticed. The lady checked my boarding card and as I was the last to board a car took me out to the aircraft. Once there we had a further 15 minute delay but I was glad that I was on the aircraft.

claredankj
    Participant

the same thing happened at luton recently to my cousins flying back to ireland they missed the gate closure due to being stuck in a huge, slow security queue …no help from staff at luton and an exspensive flight to ireland that night from heathrow plus a long drive after also another lady also missed the same flight so this must happen a lot !!!!! is this a money maker for the airlines ??

canucklad
    Participant

Mmmmmmm – Close to missing my flight to Dublin a few weeks ago because the “photo Id” taken at the 1st security point did not appear at the UK & Ireland check computer (3rd security) …… do you think I could convince the staff it had nothing to with me, that my photo did not transport itself from within BAA’s system —–any help offered—NO—-got back to the original point to have photograph re- taken—-told to join the que– -regardless of circumstance —- got to gate with seconds to spare —–Would Aer Lingus have been sympathetic ????

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear about the various problems that people seem to have had with various security queues. I have a very simple rule. i am always at the airport at least 2 hours before departure, even if I have check-in online and have hand luggage only.

The reason is very simple, to avoid or minimise the chance of encountering the problems that fellow posters above have encountered. I would rather be airside with a choice of things to do whether it is shopping eating and drinking or just chilling, rather than in a long queue for security wondering if i am going to make it or not.

The one caveat to this general principle is that as a very experienced flyer I may leave a little bit less time depending on the airport and time of day. For example, next week on the 30th I am flying from LTN to WAW at 8.15am a peak time for morning departures so I will be there at least two hours before, even though I have already checked-in and have my boarding passes. A few days later I am travelling from LHR to FRA at 2pm so I will be there 90 minutes before as the terminal is generally much quieter at that time of day.

I very much like Martyn’s idea of a 90 minute guarantee, perhaps BT could take this up on our behalf.

Some poster’s will complain that they do not have the time or inclination to get to the airport so far ahead of time. I am afraid that they are the travellers who will continue to encounter problems. I have to say though that the airlines should not be allowing/recommending a 40 minute check-in time as at peak times it is simply not realistic at any airport bar LCY to expect to check-in and get through security and be at your gate in only 40 minutes.

I will report on my LTN experience when I get back.

Safe travels everyone,

JC

Bucksnet
    Participant

If airports had enough security staff then there would be no queues as they would not build up in the first place.

The airports must know the busiest times, and should rota staff accordingly.

continentalclub
    Participant

With regard to the suggestion of, say, a ’90 minute guarantee’, that’s presumably effectively what T5 ‘conformance’ at 35 minutes is.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls