Malaysia Airlines plans to operate 700-seat A380s

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Earlier this year it was reported (see above posts) that MAS would retire its six A380s from the mainline fleet and use them exclusively for pilgrim charter flights to Saudi Arabia.

MAS had been trying to sell these six A380s but without success.

But now that former CEO Peter Bellew has departed for Ryanair there appears to be a change.

Today it’s reported that MAS mainline has decided to abandon the idea of forming a separate pilgrim charter airline.

MAS will, it is reported, retain those six A380s and operate them on both its long-haul network and the pilgrim charters.

However the A350s are still set to appear on the London route early next year.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Good decision,they now operate the two most fuel efficient aircraft in the world (per pax seat).
    On the right routes and with their excellent customer service they can provide good results too.

K1ngston
    Participant

flightlevel when was the last time you received excellent customer service on a MAS flight?? I must be getting on all the wrong sectors as my experiences are far different, with indifference and lack of any customer service, every service late or cancelled or dare I say both?

Many years ago I lived in KL and used their service often, and reached the highest level of their FFP and they were the best, and everyone wanted to fly them…. that was a LONG LONG time ago. I will do anything to avoid flying them at all these days with preference to LCCs if needed. They are reverting to a local CEO imminently or if not already doesn’t bode well!!!

rferguson
    Participant

It’s a shame for anyone currently booked on a MH 350 or even one of their 330’s whom will see their flight switched to a 380. As great a jet the 380 is, it has an inferior hard product in J compared to the other long haul jets.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=841610]flightlevel when was the last time you received excellent customer service on a MAS flight?? I must be getting on all the wrong sectors as my experiences are far different, with indifference and lack of any customer service, every service late or cancelled or dare I say both?

[/quote]
    Yes I flew MAS awhile ago, was anticipating they might return to the good service that won awards now they have the right aircraft,and they may even read the comments here too?

JKL
    Participant

I flew back to London with MH yeaterday. Have to say the service was superb, and also the food. I can highly recommend the lobster tails, available via Chef on Call, and the champagne in First is now Joseph Perrier CuvĂ©e Joesphine 2008 – very nice.

Looking forward to the A350, but it doesn’t surprise me if they’ve decided to keep the A380 after all. Makes sense to use it for peak periods, although maybe they’ll revert to it being permanent on London, with the 350 perhaps then used to reopen Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt. The 380 interior could do with a refresh (getting noticeably battered these days) but she’s a good aircraft and I would have been sorry to see her go.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

It had been thought that MAS would be operating all its KUL-LHR flights with A350s next year.

But MAS’ summer timetable, see Airlineroute below, shows the A380 returning for the summer peak between July 20 and September 3.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/276163/malaysia-airlines-s18-international-changes-as-of-12dec17/

Two A380s are required to operate a single daily flight on this route.

MH 2 is the overnight service from KUL and MH 3 is the mid-morning departure from LHR.

MAS’ new A350s are scheduled to enter the KUL-LHR route next January. Initially they will operate a single daily flight.

However, bear in mind that further changes are possible and especially now that previous CEO Peter Bellew has departed and returned to Ryanair.

Malaysia Airlines plans A350 London service from mid-January

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls