Malaysia Airlines B737-800 Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

myspirow
    Participant

This is the review of my first Malaysia Airlines flight after the airline joined oneworld alliance. The flight is from their hub, Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Jakarta (CGK). Malaysia Airlines is offering up to 7 daily flights between the two cities.

Flight MH723
    Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta
    B737-800

Booking
    I booked my flight conveniently through Malaysia Airlines website. There are two fare categories on offer for economy class; MHSmart and MHFlex. Besides flexibility of making changes, those booked under MH smart can pre-select their seat at additional cost for this regional flight. I did not make any additional purchase of advance seat booking but instead I waited to select my seat during web check-in which is free. Also during booking, one can enter his/her preferred member airline of oneworld which in my case is my BA Executive Club number.

Check-in
    I arrived in good three hours ahead of scheduled MH0723 at 4.25pm and head to Malaysia Airlines economy class check in area at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). Those who have checked-in online can proceed to baggage drop at island counter B and those without at island counter C. However, I observed that there was equal amount of queue in both island counters but the line moved quickly.
    For this flight, I was not traveling light and the main reason I traveled with MH is their generous checked baggage allowance which is 30kg for economy flight as well as their flat rate for excess baggage. For regional flights such as to Jakarta, the excess baggage rate is RM30 for every 5kgs which is cheaper than any cargo service or even through local post office.

Departure
    Most of regional flights of Malaysia Airlines which are using B737 aircrafts leave from main terminal building. My flight was scheduled to depart from gate G2 with gate was scheduled to open at 3.25pm, a good one hour before scheduled departure time.
    I had plenty of time to browse good shopping selection at both main terminal and satellite building and proceeded to gate G2 at 3.25pm and gate was already opened.
    Not long after passengers were hold at boarding gate area, airport supervisor walked around the holding area and personally invite family with young children to board the flight in advance. This was my first to see such personalized service and was impressed. Shortly after, boarding was announced for the rest of the passengers but it was not chaotic at all.

Boarding
    As I board the plane, I found that MH cabin crew was dressed in new uniform. Male flight attendants wore smart blue and light grey suit combination which was definitely looked smarter than previous dark green suit combination. I proceeded to my seat behind overwing exit rows.

Seat
    I was seated at 15A which is one row behind overwing exits row 12 and 14. Aircraft was B737-800. Each seat in economy is equipped with PTV. There is also ample storage both in overhead bins and under the seat. MH inflight entertainment, Select, is equipped with loads of movies, TV programs, and music. The screen was touch screen and was pretty interactive.

Service
    For this 2-hour flight, meal service began shortly after the plane reach cruising altitude. There were two meal choices (seafood pasta or chicken with steamed rice) on top of special meal which can be booked at the time of making reservation.
    Beverage selection was comprised of mineral water, soda, juices, beer, and wine. Coffee/tea service at the end of the meal was never offered officially but only given to those who requested, something which was differ than my previous experience flying MH on the same route.
    One particular striking difference was the way cabin crew in offering the meal to passengers. On my previous flights with MH, cabin crew always approach passenger per section of row and talk to each seat row on the preferred meal. However, on this flight, cabin crew stood facing every 2 rows and mentioned loudly on the meal selection; rather similar to cabin crew of low cost carrier when rolling out the trolley and selling meals onboard. Other than this irregularity, the rest of the service was impeccable and courteous.

Arrival
    The plane reached Jakarta airport (CGK) slightly ahead of schedule, all passengers disembarked through jetway and made their way toward immigration and baggage claim. After waiting considerable time waiting for my bulky checked bags, I was out to the meet & greet section of arrival hall after a good 40-min after arrival.

Verdict
    I was impressed with overall product from Malaysia Airlines. Generous baggage allowance was the main feature of me to choose MH and extra touches from MH staff since on the ground and in the air really blew me away.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls