Malaysia Airlines A380 from LHR lands at KUL missing nose wheel

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• JKL
    Participant

I left Hilton KL Sentral yesterday morning! Small world 😉

K1ngston
    Participant

JH_1234 if only was there last night for dinner at the great Japanese Restaurant next to the pool!

You reside in the region??

JKL
    Participant

[quote quote=832799]You reside in the region??[/quote]

No, but it does feel like it sometimes! 😉 I visit frequently. I’ll be back in KL in December and January – do let me know if you’re around, would be a pleasure to meet in the real world! Martyn has my details and permission to share them with you 🙂

philsquares
    Participant

[quote quote=832524]

you have got to ask why it always seems to happen to MH…

But does it, actually? I mean, any more then any other airline?
    I’d be curious to know whether anyone on board (pilots aside, maybe) was aware, or noticed any difference in the landing – the AVherald report seems to imply that it was only noticed when the aircraft vacated. Perhaps another way to look at it is “A380 successfully lands without incident after losing nosewheel”…
    [/quote]

The last bit I read was the wheel actually came off the axle sometime during the landing roll. The pilots would have know there was a problem from the EICAS system which would have indicated a lack of pressure from the L nose gear. So, the pilot’s not saying anything during the latter phase of the approach makes sense. Of course, once the aircraft is on the ground, it’s somewhat late to really say anything.

K1ngston
    Participant

JH_1234 Martyn has my details too, and it you were part of the email regarding the get together in BKK in December my details are on there too!

I reside in the region and in and out of most countries here so I am sure we will make it one day which I very much look forward too

Safe travels wherever you are today

JKL
    Participant

[quote quote=832992]JH_1234 Martyn has my details too, and it you were part of the email regarding the get together in BKK in December my details are on there too![/quote]

Thanks K1ngston – found it and have emailed 🙂

HKG-KUL today…

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[quote quote=832440]If you walk away – its a good landing!
    [/quote]

If they can use the plane again it’s a very good landing

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

One of MAS’ A380 flights ex-LHR is delayed by around 20 hours.

Flight MH1 which should have departed yesterday evening has been retimed to depart at 1700 today local time. The A380 had to return to LHR last night one hour after departure.

According to New Straits Times the problem was due to “malfunctioning toilets.”

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2017/10/293283/update-kl-bound-malaysia-airlines-aircraft-returns-london-over-lavatory

K1ngston
    Participant

I rest my case!!!!!!!!!

JKL
    Participant

[quote quote=833323]I rest my case!!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]

Lol. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry sometimes. On the face of it they do seem a little prone to this sort of thing, and I have to wonder how this happened – surely there are procedures for checking before take-off.

But on the other hand, a quick look at AVHerald shows just how many other incidents have happened in the last few days, so it may be a little unfair to single out MH:

(Have to say I’m curious about the Virgin Australia simultaneous “bird and rabbit strike”!!!)

Saturday Oct 21st 2017
    Incident ATA MD83 at Tabriz on Oct 20th 2017, burst two tyres on landing
    Incident Malaysia A388 near London on Oct 20th 2017, loo woes
    Incident Qantas B744 near Sydney on Oct 21st 2017, autopilot did not work properly
    Incident Delta B744 near Kamchatka on Oct 2nd 2015, engine shut down after failure penetrating engine case
    Friday Oct 20th 2017
    Incident Zagros MD83 at Tehran on Oct 19th 2017, burst tyre on departure
    Incident Virgin Australia B738 at Melbourne on Oct 20th 2017, bird and rabbit strike at once
    Incident Jet Airways B738 enroute on Oct 20th 2017, smartphone with visual ring signal
    Incident Philippines AirAsia A320 at Tacloban on Oct 20th 2017, nose wheel steering failure after landing
    Incident Lingus A332 at Dublin on Oct 20th 2017, runway excursion during line up for takeoff
    Incident LATAM Brazil B773 at Sao Paulo on Oct 19th 2017, bird strike
    Crash Malaysia B772 over Gulf of Thailand on Mar 8th 2014, aircraft missing, data indicate flight MH-370 ended west of Australia, first MH-370 debris identified, search going to continue
    Thursday Oct 19th 2017
    Incident Finnair A359 over Russia on Oct 19th 2017, technical problem
    Incident Delta A332 near Tokyo on Oct 19th 2017, engine shut down in flight
    Incident Austrian DH8D near Vienna on Oct 18th 2017, cabin did not pressurize
    Incident Nolinor B732 near Iqaluit on Oct 11th 2017, electric arc and cracked windshield
    Accident Sriwijaya B733 at Manokwari on May 31st 2017, overran runway on landing, nose gear collapsed
    Incident France A321 at Warsaw on Sep 24th 2017, rejected takeoff on ATC instruction
    Wednesday Oct 18th 2017
    Incident Flybe DH8D at Dusseldorf and Manchester on Oct 18th 2017, blew tyre on departure
    Incident Edelweiss A333 at Zurich on Oct 18th 2017, gear problem after departure
    Incident KLM Cityhopper F70 near Amsterdam on Oct 17th 2017, hydraulic leak
    Incident TAP A321 at Rome on Oct 17th 2017, engine shut down in flight
    Incident Canada Rouge A319 at Toronto on Oct 4th 2017, stand off ADI and lightning
    Incident Nolinor B732 at Montreal on Oct 10th 2017, damaged tyre on departure
    Accident Vietnam A321 at Da Nang on Jul 12th 2017, temporary runway excursion, aircraft ain’t no lawnmower

David
    Participant

How was the Hilton KL? I am due to stay there next month, haven’t stayed in a long while, usually at Le Meridien. Have the rooms been refurbed? How is the lounge?

JKL
    Participant

[quote quote=833357]How was the Hilton KL?[/quote]

I like it. Rooms were refurbished a year or two ago if I remember correctly, lounge also. Breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening canapés in the lounge are generally pretty decent. Staff are great and I’ve always been very well looked after there, so I have no hesitation recommending it.

David
    Participant

Thanks for the validation. I’m looking forward to the trip now!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Incident Jet Airways B738 enroute on Oct 20th 2017, smartphone with visual ring signal

What does this mean?
    Any ideas?

K1ngston
    Participant

They caught you making a sly call whilst flying ST….. 🙂

It does sound bizarre to say the least

If you are staying at the Hilton ( I have not stayed there I am a SPG junkie so stay at the Le Meridien) you have to go to the Japanese Restaurant by the pool, first class fayre if not a little pricey….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls