Malaysia Airlines A380 from LHR lands at KUL missing nose wheel

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Mystery surrounds flight MH3 yesterday. The A380 landed in Kuala Lumpur (after an overnight flight from London) with a defective nosegear.

It’s unclear whether the nosegear suffered damage on approach to Kuala Lumpur or upon landing.

Pic shows the A380 with a single wheel for the nosegear.

BREAKING Malaysia Airlines A380 #MH3 from Heathrow has lost a nose gear wheel

Malaysia Airlines A380 lost a nose gear wheel on landing at Kuala Lumpur.

Flightlevel
    Participant

If you walk away – its a good landing!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=832440]If you walk away – its a good landing!
    [/quote]

Got to agree with that.
    Still a bit of a mystery though. Maybe it happened on take off – in a way seems more likely but then the crew would surely have felt something?

Gold-2K
    Participant

Looks like they have been flying the aircraft through volcanic ash clouds! Hoping it’s a bit cleaner on the inside!

K1ngston
    Participant

you have got to ask why it always seems to happen to MH…. another reason I will not fly them at all, I am actually flying back to SIN in the morning at 5am and then from Sin to KUL to avoid flying them… their practises and the fact this happens so frequently has to tell you something about the way the organisation is run!

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

The AV Herald report on the incident. But still no information about the missing wheel.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4afc8288

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Unrelated to the nose wheel incident (the move had been rumoured for some time already) but news has emerged that CEO Peter Bellew is quitting MAS to rejoin Ryanair.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/peter-bellew-to-rejoin-ryanair-as-coo-36235519.html

JKL
    Participant

[quote quote=832500]you have got to ask why it always seems to happen to MH…[/quote]

But does it, actually? I mean, any more then any other airline?

I’d be curious to know whether anyone on board (pilots aside, maybe) was aware, or noticed any difference in the landing – the AVherald report seems to imply that it was only noticed when the aircraft vacated. Perhaps another way to look at it is “A380 successfully lands without incident after losing nosewheel”…

K1ngston
    Participant

Which is a testament to the pilots and not the company which is my point JH_1234

We had the door issue on a flight from LHR earlier this year and a number of reported incidents on other aircraft… too many to be called coincidence

JKL
    Participant

[quote quote=832526]too many to be called coincidence[/quote]

I’d have to respectfully disagree. SIA had door issues on their A380s… Qantas and Air France have had engine failures… as I understand it, Malaysia Airlines maintenance operation is generally very highly regarded and is used by numerous other airlines. Pick any airline, chances are they’ve had their fair share of incidents. I’m not defending MH specifically (though full disclosure, I am a fan) but I wouldn’t read too much into this happening to one of their aircraft as opposed to any other.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Possible update as the cause now seems to be known by AVHerald:
    “the left hand nose wheel bearing failed and overheated cutting through the left hand side of the wheel axle.”

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=832535]Possible update as the cause now seems to be known by AVHerald: “the left hand nose wheel bearing failed and overheated cutting through the left hand side of the wheel axle.”
    [/quote]

Bugger ;-(

Just reading this as I am about to board MH from PVG to KUL – Fingers crossed, as always, for safe arrival

K1ngston
    Participant

seasonedtraveller just going to miss you again, as I am about to board SQ from KUL back to SIN…

See you in December … safe travels

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=832773]seasonedtraveller just going to miss you again, as I am about to board SQ from KUL back to SIN…
    See you in December … safe travels
    [/quote]

Seriously – can’t believe we did it again!
    I posted the comment yesterday but it failed to post until this morning….
    Now sitting in the Renaissance KL central having completed today’s appointments
    Headed for BKK tomorrow
    Cheers
    ST

K1ngston
    Participant

Such a shame, I am still at the Meridien at KL Sentral leaving here for a 18.30pm flight back to SIN..

We really do need to co ordinate better 🙂

Again safe travels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls