Lucky Air pax throws coins into engine for " luck"

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Alex McWhirter
    Participant

Back in June it was reported that an elderly passenger has delayed a China Southern flight at Shanghai by throwing coins into the aircraft’s engine for luck.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40421811

But it happened yet again on Wednesday. This time it was at a small regional airport at Anqing. Once again it was an elderly passenger but this time the airline was Lucky Air.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/elderly-passenger-tosses-coins-into-plane-s-engine-grounding-9329292?view=DEFAULT

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not very lucky for Lucky Air 😉

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Air Asia India to roll out etiquette video for first-time flyersCarrier aims to counter unique challenges posed by customers new to air travel

“…One frequent problem is keeping the aircraft’s toilets clean, with many passengers unaccustomed to waterless flushes or automatic taps. “Many people don’t have a loo at home and suddenly they are having to use a loo in the sky,” said Mr Abrol.

He added that the levels of experience were often shown in the questions passengers ask. “We have been asked ‘Can I carry live fish in a tank?’, ‘Can I carry fish packed in ice?’ and ‘Can I carry blood?’,” he said. “People are used to rail travel and bus travel, where anything goes.” Occasionally this can create more serious problems. Vistara, which is a joint venture between Singapore Airlines and Tata, once had to manage a group of passengers staging a sit-down protest in front of an aeroplane when told their flight would not reach its intended destination because of fog.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Unfortunately, when it comes down to toilet cleanliness, even many experienced travelers could do with a lesson or three!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Slow news day – anyway, he has beenined

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50979485

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=985397][/postquote]

Thanks for the article. In it the BBC says “Mr Lu argued in court that the airline should have warned passengers not to throw coins at planes”. Words fail me. Perhaps Mr Lu would also argue that train companies should warn passengers not to ride on the roof, bus companies should warn passengers not to exit through the bus door while doing 60 MPH down the motorway, and hotels should warn guests not to hang out of open 30th floor windows.

I was glad to read that Mr Lu was ordered to pay ÂŁ13,100 in compensation to Lucky Air.

cwoodward
    Participant

The coin throwing into engines in China happens frequently. At least 1 a month it seems is reported in the Chinese media and I suspect that more happen in far
    flung provinces that are not are not reported.
    This ‘lucky’coin throwing has been happening for years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls