Long Distance Train Services

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. If you have some knowledge of German, look directly at the German site. They have some good offers there as well as cards offering discounts for more regular travel.

Bahn.de

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I just looked at the bahn.de site and saw an offer to London from €59.
    I then went on to make a dummy booking in First Class at € 348 return with the fastest journey at just 5 hours 26 minutes. I’m already registered and could have paid with my Swiss issued Amex.

So one website, one booking. It can be done. Why is it so difficult from the UK end I wonder?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Morning LP – thanks… seen the €59 fare on the DB website which also had the train times, but couldn’t book it.

Eurostar site only gave me half the info

Will call Eurostar in the morning…

€59 economy is a bargain… but imagine the fastest journey time, will also be the busiest…

I have done city centre to city centre in 4 hours before…. so anything between 5 and 6 hour journey time is acceptable by train…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There’s a UK number published. +44 8718 80 80 66

The UK website allows you to book online as well. I wonder why it’s giving you problems?

flier74
    Participant

Martyn, if you have no luck on Eurostar.com, have you tried the Deutsche Bahn website? They already sell tickets through to London from Frankfurt and Cologne (for a long time now) and if you are lucky, you might get the 1st saver fare (more worth it on eurostar obciously) as a bargain. Also note that eurostar tickets do not include seat reservations for the ICE train, which I would recommend and they can be done seperately on the DB website if you buy your ticket through Eurostar. Let us know how you get on
    edit: *Sorry just seen you already tried*

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Just spoke to a very helpful guy from DB (thanks LP for the number)..

Basically on the 11th, the latest practical service leaves FRA at 14.29 and gets in LON at 19.57. This has 1 stop (BRU).. and cost £144.

There is a later train but there are 3 changes, including a local train from Koln Messe, to the hbf.. this isn’t for me.

Via Paris, there are no fast options leaving later than 2.30pm.

If I am reading this right, a 2.30pm FRA departure, (3.30pm UK time) means a journey of 5 and 1/2 hours city centre to city centre… + 30 minutes to get home from St Pancras, for £144 + Oyster payment for the final part.

No parking at Heathrow, no hanging about at airports…no rush to FRA airport, no security hassles with bags either side,…. its very tempting. However, I need to have finished my meeting, which is very close to the hbf in FRA..

Am very tempted to give it a go………. will finalise my meeting agenda first…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

disappointingly, the train I will be taking next Tuesday, will be heading for Stuttgart and not BRU-LON. 2.30ppm is a little too early for me to leave FRA and with no avios availability from FRA, will head to Stuttgart to get back to London.

I hope over the year, there will be more “suitable” connection options in both directions, created… for train travel to give air travel some hot competition… for destination Europe / Germany.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls