LHR T5 automatic gates before security

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

So the answer in snow/weather disruption is to strictly enforce the 35 miniute rule, irrespective what time a flight has been moved to and irrespective of T5 looking like a tent city (without the tents).

If flights are going, they should not be leaving without passengers who have been caught in landisde q’s.

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Sound to me like this was a fairly major failure to manage the situation on the part of BA. They have their own dedicated terminal and they can’t get people who arrive in plenty of time on their own aircraft.

Now, who else can we possibly blame for a failure like that?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Discretion & professional judgments may not be used in connection with passenger flow through the terminal, but has been used in the past by allowing tickets to be used out of sequence i.e. sector 2 before sector 1!

T5 has been perfectly created for BA to blame BAA and for BAA to blame BA for all mess ups.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The source of the issue is bigger than either HAL (Heathrow Airport Limited, the entity formerly known as BAA) or British Airways.

Heathrow is at 99.9% capacity, and the only way for British Airways (the largest operator at the airport) to keep its longhaul schedule on track is to reduce the shorthaul flying programme at times of reduced capacity.

This has impacts, but changing the simple-to-understand and rigidly enforced conformance rules would not help an already challenging logistical situation one jot.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If traffic flows are less than half capacity due to the weather, conformance rules need to flex, to help clear the backlog. If capacity is running at 99.9%, then there is no need to change anything….

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“This has impacts, but changing the simple-to-understand and rigidly enforced conformance rules would not help an already challenging logistical situation one jot.”

I’m not sure that this is true, but even if it is, it is completely irrelevant to the OPs situation, which was caused by the airline’s failure to process his bag drop in a time that allowed him to board his flight.

He cites no proactive queue combing by floor walkers to help people make their flights and this apparent inability to manage the passengers in a time of disruption is the root cause of his problems.

I had a check in on Saturday morning, with Ryanair and STN was heaving, but they had people combing the queues proactively and two bag drops dedicated to processing people whose flights were getting near closing time.

If a loco can do this, why can’t a full service carrier?

That seems to be the heart of the matter.

PS, as Ryanair are the very essence of a cost leadership positioned organization, I do not accept that it is too expensive for an airline to actively manage queues.

cityprofessional
    Participant

“changing the simple-to-understand and rigidly enforced conformance rules would not help an already challenging logistical situation one jot.”

Actually, I think most of the solutions suggested don’t include changing the conformance rules. Having more staff at bag drop, proper queue management systems, faster security screening, not putting a shopping mall maze between security screening and the gate directly underneath it, and having decent/flexible/commonsense IRROPS handling has got nothing to do with conformance times

Anyway, I thought T5 was meant to be state of the art. If bmi managed far superior on-time performance at a 99% full airport from cruddy old T1 without the need for conforming to anything, you’d think the World’s Favourite Airline could do likewise, given all the preferential treatment it gets from HAL…

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

FormerlyDoS – 25/03/2013 15:39 GMT

+1

Clearly in Walsh’s rush to emulate his friend O’Leary, he has exceeded the targets and outcome measures for success in treating passengers with contempt!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls