LH gets 5* Skytrax rating

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Skytrax announced today that they have given LH ‘five star’ status making it the first european airline to be granted their highest rating.

I’ve never flown LH longhaul but have read great things about their newer product so congrats to them.

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/lufthansa-certified-as-5-star-airline/

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Thanks for posting rferguson.

I fly them a lot intra Europe and find they’re excellent.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

My airline of choice from ABZ via FRA! I chose them before AF, KL, BA, SAS and more . .
    Well done LH!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Great to see this. Even if my plane had a flat tyre which had to be changed and we were delayed by 90 minutes!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, but….

I remember when Lufthansa announced that this was an aim (and well done for achieving).

I did ask whether it was comfortable effectively outsourcing the quality assessment to a third party organisation…. and a commercial one, at that.

The answer was, it was.

And so now it has something it can market.

capetonianm
    Participant

LH may well deserve this accolade, their product is a good one, but Skytrax is a farce and their ‘rating’ would not influence me one iota in my choice of carrier.

stevescoots
    Participant

have to agree, i dont take any stock in Skytrax ratings. better the opinion of fellow FF’s

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

They are quick to promote this! …

There are five more stars in the sky now

Dear Mr Simpson,
    We are delighted to inform you that Lufthansa is the first European airline to be awarded the coveted ‘5-Star Airline’ certificate by Skytrax. The award of this honour means Lufthansa is now rated one of the world’s 10 best airlines. This not only fills us with pride, it is also a great incentive: we will do everything we can to provide you with the highest travel standards in the future too.

Outstanding service

Experience excellent 5-star service. Sit back and let us spoil you: enjoy exclusive and personal service from booking to landing. Our Lufthansa team will meet your individual wishes and needs throughout.

Great experiences at a great height

Economy, Premium Economy, Business or First Class: Lufthansa offers the perfect service whatever your reason for travelling. Experience special moments that will linger in the memory: look forward to an extensive entertainment programme, exquisite gourmet menus and warm and friendly service that meets all your requirements.

Where the time simply flies by

Our Lufthansa First Class, Senator and Business Lounges turn your stopover into a delightful experience. Withdraw from the noise and bustle of the airport and enjoy exclusive comfort: quiet spaces to work or relax, as well as excellent bars, ensure your stay is truly restful.

Looking to the future

Of course, we will do everything in the future to constantly improve our services for you. And we will continue to set new standards time and again: for example, innovative seating concepts tailored to your requirements for greater comfort and privacy await you in all travel classes. We look forward to welcoming you on board again in the future and to flying with you towards new horizons.

Edski777
    Participant

…but fully deserved. Especially long haul premium cabins and service.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Lufthansa is making the most of its award.

One B747 and one A320 now carry the special name: “*****5starhansa”

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Cool – my 3 favorite airlines are LX, SQ, and LH.

Cheers,
    -Rave

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=840466]Yes, but….
    I remember when Lufthansa announced that this was an aim (and well done for achieving).
    I did ask whether it was comfortable effectively outsourcing the quality assessment to a third party organisation…. and a commercial one, at that.
    The answer was, it was.
    And so now it has something it can market.
    [/quote]

Totally agree. The main purpose of the Skytrax rating is for marketing purposes, not as an independent assessment of quality. It just so happens that 5 star airlines such as LH, like SQ etc have a high quality product worthy of a at least 4 stars. What gives them the 5th star is unclear. In reality, what gives them the 5th star is a whole bunch of marketing $$$.

Aegean are another good example. They are 3 star airline (presumably because they only offer a short haul A320 product) but keep getting awarded Best Regional Airline by Skytrax – which is then highly promoted by Aegean. I’m sure that the Best Regional Airline title also comes at a price.

So, I agree that Lufthansa are a high quality airline. But the 5 star rating by Skytrax now gives them the marketing tool to promote that to the vast majority of consumers, who don’t realise Skytrax is a sham. Amusing but slightly ridiculous.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

German media is suggesting this is one reason why Lufthansa released advance information of its new B777 business class – see below.

I say this because Lufthansa is renowned as a cautious and stable airline. In times gone by it would never have released such information years in advance.

Lufthansa reveals more details of new business class seat

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=840567]German media is suggesting this is one reason why Lufthansa released advance information of its new B777 business class – see below.
    I say this because Lufthansa is renowned as a cautious and stable airline. In times gone by it would never have released such information years in advance.

Lufthansa reveals more details of new business class seat

<iframe width=”500″ height=”523″ title=”“Lufthansa reveals more details of new business class seat” — Business Traveller – The leading magazine for frequent flyers” class=”wp-embedded-content” src=”https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2017/11/27/lufthansa-reveals-details-new-business-class-seat/embed/#?secret=695OXaiVzg&#8221; frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” sandbox=”allow-scripts” data-secret=”695OXaiVzg”></iframe>
    [/quote]

As you suggest, perhaps a way for LH to now show it will (at some stage in the future) join the ‘direct aisle access for all seats in business’ club. The current business product is excellent on food and service but still awkward when you’re on a window seat with someone next to you. Interesting how slow LH were to adapt on this issue compared to carriers like Cathay. Fleet size may be a reason? Or just poor timing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls