Last minute upgrade to Club Europe on BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

I’m booked to fly IST-LHR on Saturday and just got the usual email offering an upgrade for “only” €99. My question is, will that be the final price, or is there a chance of a further reduction if I wait till 24hrs before when I check in?

JohnHarper
    Participant

There may be a chance of an increase as well as a reduction! If you want it buy it now.

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

I see J9, C9, D9, R9 in terms of biz availability. This to me would make me think that an upgrade may become cheaper closer to the time. What do you think?

sleak76
    Participant

Even if it is wide open, you never know how it’ll stay that open closer to departure.

BA may downgrade their planes to an A320 and you’ll suddenly find less CE seats avail which means the upgrade offer stops. Or, a flight goes tech and passengers are diverted onto the other 2 flights on Saturday, hence stopping upgrades. And of course add last minute business travel bookings that may grab a few more of the C seats.

From my own experience, upgrades given now does not necessitate them being avail (cheaper) closer to departure. And 99 euros for such a medium haul flight (I do categorize IST-LHR as medium haul) is a great bargain. I’d be (pleasantly) surprised if it drops to say 49 or 59 euros.

JohnHarper
    Participant

If they suddenly get a collection of bookings in Y you could find C zeroed out. The curtain can move very quickly and an A321 can become an A320 and an A320 can become an A319.

As before, if you want it buy it now.

rferguson
    Participant

I doubt very much you will see it go lower than 99.

From what I understand the upgrade offers to Club Europe are done as a flat rate per ‘band’. For example £59 for band 1 flights, £69 for 2, etc etc.

superchris
    Participant

Ive rarely seen them lower than this price, especially when you think a good portion of this is the extra tax / oil price surcharge on a c ticket versus a Y. With increased miles, TP’s and room on the plane, I would snap this up……..

The price is set on a per-route basis, and won’t be reduced. It may be removed, at which point you have to pay the fare difference.

KarlMarx
    Participant

The purchasing decision here is a matter of utility.

For a 3 hour 45 minute flight, do the following offer enough in exchange of 99€?

– Lounge access (if you do not have status)

– A free middle seat (if on Airbus, not applicable on a 767)

– A better meal

If the items above are sufficient, then you should take the upgrade now, whilst available. If not, then perhaps consider paying for an exit row seat and gaining a little extra legroom?

Tim2soza
    Participant

You also get fast track security and boarding at IST, and on a 767, if not in the converter seats in ET, then 3 inches more leggy and one less seat across the cabin in CE. On the return leg you get priority immigration at IST. Plus more Avios and TP’s and baggage allowance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls