Last Chance to See: Tel Aviv 60k in FIRST

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

One of the best ways in which to redeem BA miles has long been an exEU via LHR redemption to Tel Aviv in Israel.

It’s a great city for a shoulder-season break, and plenty to see if you make a weekend of it enjoying TLV’s nightlife, then onwards to Jerusalem, the Holocaust Museum and Wailing Wall as well as the Stations of the Cross among other unmissable sites.

The Dead Sea is an experience, though Israeli hotels do leave something to be desired (usually, check out) and the stunning sunrise over Masada is a once in a lifetime experience.

I’m not sure what Avios redemption rates will be like, but there’s stacks of availability at 60,000 BA Miles return in FIRST; terrific mileage value if using a 2 for 1 voucher, and without the 2for1 voucher exEU the APD and other fees are less so you can combine with a weekend in Nice or similar for a very pleasant autumn break.

[EDIT since written this redemption is now 75k rtn in F, with the intro of the new reward chart in Nov 2011].

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/echome/public/en_gb?link=TOP_echome

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“One of the best ways in which to redeem BA miles has long been an exEU via LHR redemption to Tel Aviv in Israel.”

Always assuming you want to go to Tel Aviv, in Israel.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s a great location. I can’t think of a reason not to go.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I don’t want to go to Milan for my exEurope fare to BKK, so I just go to LIN and turn around, in order to save a significant amount.

To benefit from the offer, mentioned 2 above, you only need to fly to Ben Gurion and then turn around.

However, as the poster suggests, it could be an interesting visit, as could Milan ….

Your point DoS??

Swissdiver
    Participant

Well from a purely geopolitical standpoint, am not sure it is a good timing given the UN vote in a week or so… Besides, and I am talking of experiences, going through Ben Gurion means you accept a long, hassle-full, sometime humiliating, security screening process notably upon departure…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am afraid I dont know the answer, but are you allowed to just transit through, Ben Gurion?

EDIT – yes you do need to clear imigration and security

ttp://www.iaa.gov.il/Rashat/en-US/Airports/BenGurion/InformationforTravelers/PassengersProcess/TransitPassengers/Passengersintransittoadestinationabroad.htm

but – specially for those that do not wish to, you do not need to go Tel Aviv, in Israel, in the process of transiting the airport.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Your point DoS??”

It’s a great place to go, if you want to go there.

Otherwise a complete waste of time, miles and money.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“It’s a great location. I can’t think of a reason not to go.”

Personally, if I had a weekend to spare at the Med end of the middle east, I’d go to Petra in Jordan.

Different folks, different strokes.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Totally second the Petra idea. Magic! Then a little scuba dive in Aqaba… Love Jordan… http://www.visitjordan.com/

Btw, you can visit Jerusalem (that is a place to visit at least once in a lifetime – but not now!) from Amman (about 1 1/2 hour drive plus about 1/2 to 1 hour at the border – Jordan’s side is smooth but Israeli’s…)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Interesting starting point for an “ex-Europe” fare. Took a quick look but Amman doesnt appear to offer a bargains for cheap fares as a starting point.

I agree with you that Petra is indeed a fascinating destination. I would recommend more than a weekend though.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Petra’s great, but doesn’t have the mileage redemption potential which TLV has; hence this thread.

Masada is a stunning location, especially if you climb up the hillside early, reaching the top as the sun rises:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masada

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello all,

SwissDiver, forgive me but I am curious, why is now not a good time to visit Jerusalem? I was there a few days ago, in Jerusalem, and all was well?

I am in no way trying to be controversial, I am genuinely interested in why you feel that now is not a good time to visit Jerusalem?

By the way and sorry for going off thread but ‘Wizzair, continue to impress very much. Now been to PRG and BUD with them from LTN.

Safe travels everyone!

JC

Swissdiver
    Participant

Hello JC,

Risk management. I tend to avoid places that might be under trouble. There is a great chance Palestinian will go to the UN security council with their state recognition request that will probably be turned down by a US veto (only way to block it since the majority of the US states are in favour of a Palestinian state). I think this will infuriate the Arab streets against Israel and the USA and do expect troubles in Israel either from Palestinians or from Arab Israelis or both. Not the best time to visit the country…

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Swissdiver,

thank you for taking the time to answer my question. You will not be surprised to hear that I disagree with you as I visit the country regularly both on business and to visit family and have been there during some of the worst of the problems that the country has seen in the last 30 years and have had no major problems!

I do however totally respect your reasons and your logic and one of the things I like most about this forum is that we can agree to disagree on any thread or topic.

Cheers,

JC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls