Last chance to fly on a KLM Fokker 70

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• icenspice
    Participant

On a flight to AMS yesterday, the pilot announced that the Fokker 70s will be retired from KL’s fleet in 3 weeks. I guess that will be at the end of the summer schedule.

I’m not sure if I will miss them!

Alan
    Participant

October 28th is the day!

Some of KLM’s fleet are headed to Papua New Guinea. Air Niugini already have some of the ex KLM F70’s purchased over the past couple of years.

Alliance Airlines in Australia have purchased 15 F70 engines off KLM as spares for the fleet of F70’s they purchased from Austrian Airlines (they bought their entire fleet).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

12 September 2017
    The Fokker 70’s final commercial flights

KLM wants to reflect in appropriate style on the end of the 97-year partnership between KLM and Fokker. The phasing out of the Fokker 70 at KLM Cityhopper marks the end of an extraordinary period for the Dutch airline industry.

So many KLM fans would like to be aboard one of the final Fokker flights on 28 October 2017 that we are publishing the flight schedule below. A few seats are still available and can be booked via http://www.klm.co.uk

DUS – Düsseldorf KL1862 arrival Amsterdam 19.05 hrs*
    NWI- Norwich KL1512 arrival Amsterdam 19.15 hrs*
    HAJ – Hannover KL1912 arrival Amsterdam 19.15 hrs*
    BRU – Brussel KL1732 arrival Amsterdam 19.15 hrs*
    LUX – Luxembourg KL1746 arrival Amsterdam 19.35 hrs*
    LHR – London KL1070 arrival Amsterdam 20.30 hrs *
    *Local time

Especially for fans

The fact that the very last commercial Fokker flight will depart from London is no coincidence. Soon after the first passenger flights took place on 17 May 1920, two Fokkers joined the KLM fleet as the first passenger aircraft to be owned by KLM: these Fokker IIs bore the registration numbers H-NABC and H-NABD. The first commercial flight with a Fokker II was on 15 September 1920 to London. The arrival of the Fokker 70 from London on 28 October will complete the circle.

Modernising the fleet KLM Cityhopper began replacing its Fokker fleet with the modern E-Jet, Embraer 190 and Embraer 175+ in 2008. These new aircraft are facilitating further expansion of the existing network, higher flight frequencies, and lower costs. This wide-ranging modernisation means KLM Cityhopper can contribute to a more efficient and environmentally friendly operation in which quality and passenger comfort are top priorities.
    Photo credit: Arnoud Raeven

icenspice
    Participant

I like the photo. Perhaps KLM will reposition one on the Panorama terrace facing its bigger brother/sister. Plenty of space ?

Swissdiver
    Participant

I wondered why H-NABC, Tom, until I figured out the current country allocation dates back to 1928… Thanks for the historical note.

I won’t miss them either although I remember being quite relieved when I boarded on a Fokker 100 in Iran at the end of the embargo since it was one of the few for which spare parts were available…

Flightlevel
    Participant

Always thought they sound like a jeep when taxiing and now had a similar experience on an A350 so a replacement type with a rumbling undercarriage!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The Fokker 70 is actually the F28 Mark 70 (and the F100 is the F28 Mark 100) – so says the maker’s name plate 🙂

I first flew on an earlier mark of the F28 in 1979, from LBA to ORY and was very pleased as it was so much faster and more comfortable than the usual F27s that Air Anglia used to AMS.

Air Anglia F28

Over the years, I’ve used them now and again and retain a high regard for the space and comfort in the cabin – so long as I’m not sitting next to one of the RR Tay engines, at the rear. The original Speys were even worse neighbours.

Still, life moves on and the eJets are a worthy replacement – but it is a shame that the great aviation name of Fokker will no longer been seen on it’s own aircraft in Europe.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The final F70 flight of KLM took place yesterday. It was an AMS-LHR roundtrip.

A few hours ago today KLM released a short “Special Farewell F70” video.

openfly
    Participant

Great video. Thanks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls