KLM B777-300ER World Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

MarcusUK
    Participant

Amsterdam – Bangkok with KLM on this daily service, leaving 17.50hrs, arriving 9.30am (+1).
    varied each day between a newer 777-300ER and 772 Aircraft.Bangkok, always the cheapest gateway into Asia. Two Z Class Business fares cost £1,756 each return (about £150 more ex UK)
    Often, KLM have some of the best Business fares ex UK to Asia.

We Checked in on line 30 hrs before, with seats chosen 4 A/C when booked a month ago, for no extra charges. Texted details of the flight 5 hrs before by KLM, with no delays anticipated, otherwise you are notified of any issues.

As a Gold Flying Blue Member, check in at the usual place dropping off bags at Schiphol, at the KLM Business/ Elite Skyteam area, following which Priority Immigration, Intercontinental lounge access, and Priority security at the gates and boarding.
    Lounges were very busy as always, plenty staff working hard, and a pleasant spacious feel with fair food, and lots of various places for work, i-pad reading , private TV stations, and all the usual quiet snooze, shower areas.

Security with Full body scanners at the gate meant 2 mins and through, and boarded smoothly using the A380 gates at Schiphol, and two easy walkways enabling quick stress free entry to the aircraft.

Business Class was full, though spare seats can be “Bid for” by offering an amount prior to travel, and if accepted you get the upgrade, notified 24 hrs in advance. Some seats were taken by this method.

Friendly very happy crew, lots of teamwork, friendly informative Captain, worked hard through the flight. Nice to be on the newer feel 773 aircraft. The “Victor & Rolf” toiletry bags are disappointing, with such cheap contents, I wonder why they bother. Poor quality socks, not effective eye shade, lip moisturiser stick, and a pen that hardly ever works. Much more effort and quality is needed here, as it really reflects poorly the service KLM offer.

The menus were offering a great variation created each ,month by a leading Dutch chef, and wines to compliment from worldwide. I ordered an Asian Vegetarian meal, which was terrific in presentation, quality, fresh ingredients, and spice variations. Much effort has gone into KLM meals in the last 2 years, and as they say “restaurant fresh”, they really are. You can upgrade a meal to a special set theme for economy too for a small cost.
    Desserts from the trolley, nicely presented, have two if you like, great coffee and chocolates after, and the usual assortment of drinks and alcohol.

We all have issues with the KLM seat for sleeping, and we know it is being upgraded to be fully flat, but could be a year before seen on KLM’s 777 fleets. This will make a big improvement.

I often wonder why European Airlines are so clinical in cabin designs, with little warmth or character, flourescent lighting, poor quality toiletries, when so much innovation is out there, and good ideas and effects in the cabin from many Airlines. A decent sized toilet with lighting that does not make you look like a “Horror” movie, with space not to bang your head on the door, and move around a little. Somewhere to go, a seating area, bar , lounge would be so good with KLM. If only we could match them all together a little more for an intimate more cosy feel, yet retain the professionalism that Airlines like to give. I do not see much added warmth or lighting differences in the new cabin so far…?

The “Economy Comfort Zone” again not taken up, at Euros 170 extra a seat for inches more and 7″ more recline, is not a “Wow” factor. No difference in the cabin, food or service from Economy. KLM in my view, would highly benefit from a proper Premium Economy cabin, and make good money from it in these tough times. Imagination and some creativity is needed here, and it would really be popular i feel, the existing product for long haul, simply does not sell. Neither was the economy section full by more than 70%.

Entertainment was on a large clear screen almost as wide as the seat frame in front, though much content is Americanised.
    Slept for around 5 hrs on the angled lie flat seat, and the crew were quiet, responsive to peoples needs during the dark hours.
    I always like the Hotel card style breakfast menu for KLM, you have cereals, choice of milks, yoghurts, fruit plates,a cheese or meat plate, and Hot main savoury, or sweet pancake dishes. All in addition to your continental breakfast, fresh orange juice, KLM’s great coffee, All is served on Marcel Wanders Tableware and very stylish cutlery. You always enjoy breakfast with KLM and plenty of it, and varied sets you up for the morning well.

Lots of information from the Captain, landed on time, Captain and Purser always say goodbye to everyone, a regular KLM touch.
    Fast track Immigration cards for Bangkok meant no queues, but 9.30am is a better time to arrive in Asia than most Airlines at the break of day, where much interconnecting for flights to Australia and Asia are made. So the KLM option which is in-between the lunchtime or evening flights to Asia is a pleasant option and helps with the time zones better. You also avoid the rush hour going into Bangkok.

Overall a good KLM flight, always even in the experience, a good value fare for Business, and miles earned to other travel. But KLM could really add a little more Dutch Warmth on Board in cabin design and lighting and facilities, and the small things that impress passengers and add to their small comforts. i hope this changes with the new cabins or a lost opportunity will have been wasted.
    It is after all, the small differences we often remember on flights, that make us differentiate them, and gain a liking to choose them again.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls