Its Colombia not Columbia

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

I had (past tense as we fell out over opposing views on Brexit) an English friend, we’ll call him ‘X’, who for some reason hated the Scots, or ‘Scotch’ as he used to call them to annoy them deliberately. Many times I told him that ‘Scotch’ applies to eggs and whisky, not people. Anyway one day he picked an argument with a Scotsman in a pub and called this guy a ‘Scotch’ tosser. The Scotsman, who was about three times the size of both of us put together, picked X up and deposited him unceremoniously outside in the slushy snow, and told him he could come back when he learned the difference between ‘Scots’ and ‘Scotch’.

X decided to go to the police and charge the Scot with assault, so I had to go along to the police station as a ‘witness’. The desk sergeant was …….. a real Glaswegian! When he was told the background, he said to ‘X’ : “Get on with ye or ye’ll be oot in the snow a second time ……..!”

Poshgirl58
    Participant

I’m a stickler for proper spelling and using the correct word, such as Scottish, to describe the people of that country.

My problem is my first name (five letters beginning with J) and the people who despite seeing it written correctly, still insist on calling me by the more popular version that ends in ‘e’. When I corrected an ex-colleague, he insisted that I was wrong, as one of his co-workers had told him my incorrect name. Speedy production of my driving licence put him right.

Rant over!

icenspice
    Participant

You will always be Colombia to me.

OMG, I feel a song coming!

Flightlevel
    Participant

Its important to be good enough,not perfect,and usually BT excels.
    Personally I’d like spellcheck on this forum too!

JKL
    Participant

Most amusing that a thread about correct spelling is so littered with typos and grocer’s apostrophes.

As for the thread title, it’s “It’s”, not “Its”.

😉

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls