Is there such a thing as a bad First Class ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

• pomerol
    Participant

What a stupid question.

Of course there is, and all the Bassa loyalists will come trotting out of their shells to tell us how awfull BA F is, if that is the case? then they need to look in the mirror and ask themselves, why?

I have never travelled First, but have had the pleasure of the first class lounge, I strongly suspect the usual suspects aotg, bigdog, redadair, dos fdos guestposter, and not forgetting openfly, now officially the most unlucky passenger BA has ever had, in the five or so years that I have veiwed this forum, he without doubt has had more problems than anyone else, except of course anyone else that Bassa might put up.

When I first found this sight, I thought what a great forum, it had posters who had a good deal of knowledge of the aviation industry, regularly posted information which was of interest to many posters of this site, the loss of so many of those posters over the last few years, I think leaves this forum almost dead in the water.

I reside in the South West of France, I am very happy with BA, why you lot blame BA for everything that might go wrong is pitifull, a few of you have expoused the advantages of travelling with Easyjet, I have travelled Easyjet on quite a number of occasions, but they are not for me, if BA fly the route, absolutely no contest,

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Pomerol

Don’t you think it is better to restrain your comments to a service you have experience of?

It’s great that you like BA over easyJet, good luck to you, but if you have never travelled F, then you can’t really comment on what a good service (or bad one) looks like. Visiting the Flounge isn’t really the same thing.

Please be aware that

1 – I have never been a member of BASSA
    2 – I am not sympathetic to BASSA
    3 – I am not a BASSA apologist
    4 – I have travelled first class on several airlines. My two most recent F flights were on QR and BA – simply poles apart, fact

Freedom1
    Participant

This is why I, and I expect, many other readers of this forum don’t post so often or have left the forum.. Such schoolgirl childish behaviour. How old are we all ? ?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Tom Otley,

You may have done the gardening, but many of the weeds still remain. What the f*** has this thread got to do with BASSA? What a joke this Forum is becoming.

Freedom1

+1 My sentiments entirely (and I guess the sentiments of many more increasing ex-regular posters as well).

What a bunch of boors/bores so many of you are.

Simon

judynagy
    Participant

It’s very disappointing to look forward to great horror stories and find none … just a bunch of drivel far away from the subject. I have not enjoyed the forum as much as I did several years ago but thought it was just me … is there no moderator to chuck these postings in the trash? Probably discriminatory … how about a nice heading like “Too Far Off the Point” where you could dump them all? I hate to see such a fun and educational forum fall into mediocrity.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Judy,

+1

Your contributions are worth much more than those of some of these timewasters.

Regards, Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

An observation. A lot of this childishness and posting style of some of the newer posters seems strangely familiar. Presumably Tom is checking IPs etc….

To paraphrase the great Pete Townsend “here comes the new handle. Just like the old handle.”

BT couldn’t be that naïve. Could they….?

Simon

Sadly AirBorne

My first and probably last experience in F was very underwhelming. Perhaps other airlines do it properly.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

“It’s very disappointing to look forward to great horror stories and find none”

Judy, sorry to disappoint you, the point I was making was that I have not had any horror stories in F class, just some disappointments.

Even a disappointing F flight is a much nicer way to travel than a great Y flight, although it might rankle due to higher expectations.

As bad as it has got for me is being awoken by an FA announcing the next menu in the middle of the night and the call bell being ignored, hardly qualifying as a horror story 🙂

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I won’t say either of them was a nightmare, but I have had some very underwhelming trips in F (although not for some years, I don’t get to fly F any more!)

Worst was a transcontinental flight on AA many years ago. They were using an international 747 on the service, and I was the only passenger in F, with two cabin crew all to myself. One would have thought, under the circumstances, that I would have been well cared for. Ha!! Unbelievable attitude from both the hatchet-faced old harridans, who would pound their way at high speed past my seat so they didn’t have to notice my glass was empty and refill it – I cottoned on to that after a while, and (I realise this doesn’t paint me in a good light, but I was really getting [quite annoyed]) waited until just after I reckoned they had sat down again before pressing the call button. Heaven knows why they kept charging through the cabin, but the elephant-footed approach got even worse when I was trying to sleep – it was almost as though they were trying to wake me up. Perhaps that was *their* way of getting revenge.

At the other end of the scale – but actually more of a nightmare – was my first trip in F, from HKG to BKK also in a 747, this time on CX. Many, many, many years ago. One of the cabin crew clearly decided that what she really needed in her life was a young – modesty forbids me from saying good-looking – young man who could afford to fly first class; and she tried repeatedly to engage me in conversation, finally plonking herself down on the arm of my seat. I had only been married a couple of years at this stage and was finding it thoroughly uncomfortable, and racking my brains to try to work out how to get rid of her. Eventually the answer occurred to me – when she finally asked why I was going to Bangkok, I told her it was to visit my boyfriend. The look on her face and the alacrity with which she retreated to the galley were a sight to behold!

EDITED to substitute the words in square brackets above for my original phrase. I am not quite sure where the borderline on swearing kicks in!! (see posts below)

TominScotland
    Participant

Brilliant, Ian!!

If we are talking about product, the biggest F let-down I have encountered was the Emirates A330, which is gradually being phased out – fine for regional flights but under whelming from Dubai to Hong Kong. Combine this with hit-and-miss EK service and it would have been a real let-down had I been paying for it myself, especially as the alternative flight at that time was the A380.

StandingThemUp
    Participant

Tom

I’m with you on the EK332. The only saving grace was that they used to offer the F cabin for a relatively small increment over J and the latter was even more disappointing (7 across, narrow recliners), so the F offer was really like buying a decent business class product.

However, in recent years, they have moved away from this approach and firmed up their pricing, meaning that the 332 is best avoided.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hi Simon,

We try and moderate things, but it would help if you didn’t asterisk swear words (as in, don’t swear at all)

It contributes to an extremely unpleasant environment when we are doing our best to sort things out, and quite frankly, reflects badly on yourself.

As for whether we’re being naive… you have no idea of the work going on behind the scenes with checking IP addresses and blocking posters, and if you were interested, you only have to email me or call and I’ll quite happily discuss it.

Tom Otley

alexlondon
    Participant

When I fly FIRST, I expect to have an experience of luxury – whether I am working or relaxing – I want the feeling that I am being spoiled.

I flew BA First out to Singapore on Sunday. There was no pazzaz or luxury. Just a very competent business class product. Food was OK, wines were OK, service was OK. Flights were on time, I managed some sleep and arrived safely – I expect to be able to say more than that when flying in First.

Next flight on Cathay Pacific who I know will deliver!

Shearer
    Participant

Blinkin’ British Airways. Why oh why oh why can’t they be like Emirates who never do anything wrong ever. Or Qantas. Or Cathay. Or easyJet. easyJet extra legroom seats are better than BA First. BA need to remember that Emirates, Qatar, Air New Zealand, Virgin, Loganair, Etihad and Emirates are better. They can’t just expect business to come their way. Oh and why oh why oh why did WW want to merge with Iberia. Aer Lingus is better than BA. And so is Icelandair. And Eastern. And bmi regional. And Ryanair. And FlyBe. At least you know what you’re getting. And Malaysia Airlines. And Emirates. And Thai. They are all better than BA. For my money I only fly with Emirates, even to places they don’t fly. You can’t buy that kind of quality.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls