Is it goodbye Virgin?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• PegasusAir
    Participant

I have been surprised that the UK press have not written more about Virgin Atlantic becoming majority US/French/Dutch owned.

Is AF/KL a 50/50 or a subsidiary of AF ie which part of AF/KL will own the shares in VS?

VS appears to now be only 20% owned by an offshore group ultimately owned by a UK trust based in the BVI’s. I am not sure SRB even controls the trust. When the UK leaves the EU the UK will need it’s own bilateral agreements and yet VS will not be a majority UK owned airline so I wonder how that will work if I understand this correctly.

As far as brand is concerned we shouldn’t confuse the Virgin brand (Music shops, Health clubs etc) with just that of the airline although one can argue there is some read-across. But is Virgin Atlantic a better known airline brand in the big markets of N America or Europe (excluding the UK) than say Delta, Air France or KLM – I think not.

Yes, DL/AF/KL may decide to keep the brand because it has a different profile or service offering but the name as an airline is only strong in the UK and Australasia once Alaska kill off the name in North America.

Of course, it has to get regulatory approval yet……..

Marc_ACB
    Participant

[quote quote=820722]With Anglo-Spanish IAG and QR having significant ownerships, and probably other non-British entities and shareholders too, what percentage of BA is British owned?[/quote]

I seem to recall that BA have a special voting share, to ensure that the votes capable of being cast by UK shareholders of BA need never fall below a majority. So legally, BA would always be “British Controlled/Owned”. I cant a similar article in the Memorandum and Articles of VA.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=820860]That’s what I was alluding to FDOS. Virgin is much more than an airline, from telcoms, to drinks, to health clubs to trains and more. I think that’s why Delta et al keep Virgin flying.

[/quote]

Yes, a very strong brand, globally.

Mind you, Stelios has been quite active ……

http://easy.com/

easy Dog Walking – that sounds good 🙂

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=821001]

With Anglo-Spanish IAG and QR having significant ownerships, and probably other non-British entities and shareholders too, what percentage of BA is British owned?

I seem to recall that BA have a special voting share, to ensure that the votes capable of being cast by UK shareholders of BA need never fall below a majority. So legally, BA would always be “British Controlled/Owned”. I cant a similar article in the Memorandum and Articles of VA.

[/quote]

AFAIK, you cannot own shares in BA, only IAG.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls