Is IATA now Doomed?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just read this about the CEO of Air France taking on the role of CEO at IATA.

http://www.airlive.net/news-air-france-klm-ceo-to-step-down-for-iata-job/

I may be wrong but I couldn’t think of a worse candidate for the job. Just 4 years in the airline industry and previously a civil servant in government service. I don’t think he was right for AF and I certainly don’t think he’s right for IATA.

Any thoughts on this one?

Edski777
    Participant

He wasn’t right for KLM either.

Typically a political motivated appointment and this person hardly seems to be in a position or have the personality to unite all IATA members and take IATA to a higher level. He clearly hasn’t done that for AF/KL in the past 4 years.

It seems to me the French should first an foremost get their own house in order before someone moves on.

Or was he just a lightweight that had to be ditched?

MrMichael
    Participant

Do we really need IATA any more?

It seems to me an organisation that stifles innovation and is out purely to protect inefficient flag carriers. They have the right chap!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I do agree with you Edski and even KLM rue the day they were taken over by AF.

MrMichael, I thought the same thing myself, just how relevant is IATA today. However it has 264 members and is a trade association which airlines presumably pay handsomely to be a part of, so I guess they are getting something out of it. It’s interesting to note that Tony Tyler, the previous CEO had over three decades of airline industry experience as opposed to de Juniac’s four years.

Had he really turned AF round in that time then maybe, but he hasn’t and having a mainly political background I foresee he will not do much for IATA either.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls