Is AVOD Still Necessary?

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

AA use a seatback style individual media player (looks like a notebook without keys) on thier LHR – ORD route, or at least they did 2 years ago

trouble is they dont carry spares on the flight in case one fails, they also collect them all up about 45 mins before landing!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Tend to agree Bucksnet, but in fact it could be made even simpler. Thanks to iCloud computing the iPad could be updated with local news, programming, information etc on arrival, so you can do without any servers on board streaming the information.

In the event of the iPad seizing it’s pretty simple to reset and they can be setup so that Pax cannot interfere with the settings, except brightness, volume, rotation for example.

Speaking to the Purser on my Swiss flight yesterday, he said they would welcome it in the premium cabins, but it may be impractical in Economy. Collecting them is not a probelm as they often go round and collect the headphones at the end of the flight, so just a matter of picking up iPads as well.

Those with their own iPad preferring their own content would be free to use their own device though knowing me, if they were not clearly branded I’d proably hand mine over by accident!

Bucksnet
    Participant

If they were fixed in the back of the seat then no problem. I agree with the information being updated as you state, but films and other video need to be served locally due to bandwidth issues.

VintageKrug
    Participant

The new HD ready Thales system fitted in new First on 777-300ERs is superb, and might get me back watching integrated AVOD, without the (modest) hassle of plugging in my laptop.

While many premium passengers might have both the wherewithal and foresight to have a laptop (plus compatible charger etc.) with them, it should be remembered that those in the boot find it less easy to watch a laptop due to space constraints, power isn’t always available, occasional flyers might not want to take a laptop on vacation and especially for a family taking one laptop/iPad per member might be logistically challenging.

That’s why I think AVOD is still a very important part of an airline’s offering, particularly for those in economy, those with younger families and especially in parts of the world where owning a laptop isn’t standard or affordable.

RichHI1
    Participant

AA are replacing existing portable units with Samsung Glaxy Tablets. They are also trialling wifi material distribution. So with luck you will be able to have live content like air map in flight and eventually internet and TV (not just over land) . I supect the hiccup will be the greedy content owners who will fight to stop you watching content overseas as they do with TV, DVD, Blu Ray etc.

VK, a question, I was told the new Thales system is HD ready but not implemented. Is that due to hardware constraints (bandwidth etc) or lack of HD content provision by the entertianment suppliers?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I don’t know the answer to that.

It’s frustrating as it would be excellent in HD. Might be around the content license; just as with Sky TV I’d imagine you pay more for HD content and as most of the fleet doesn’t yet support HD it doesn’t stack up to purchase HD content when less than 5% of aircraft support it at present. This calculation will of course change when the 787s and A380s come online, but for now it makes sense.

I’m very careful about which movies I watch on board using AVOD, if any. Narrative movies work well on board, those with action are excellent cinematography are best kept for the Cinema or Home viewing. Also be aware that most movies are edited to shorten them, as well as having controversial scenes (including in some cases removal of scenes involving competing carriers!) which can impact your viewing experience.

Just as its important to optimise one’s taste in food for the on board environment, so one should choose AVOD content wisely or risk being disappointed.

RichHI1
    Participant

Agreed. If I want to watch a Big Screen movie on board I get out the 16″ laptop which has 1080p and Blu Ray but it is a faff with the power adapter, the ac lead, the laptop, the disk, the headphones…. But for quality, a non edited movie and 2.35 screen ratio it is the way to go.

d1rector
    Participant

Of course provided AVOD is still necessary. Not everyone by any means wants to bother with the superfluity of a pad [in addition to (often two?) phones, laptop etc.] and airline service levels are already marginal against price, so we don’t want even fewer facilities for our money. I have never understood the road warrior’s love of transporting absolutely everything he needs with him.

RichHI1
    Participant

I agree with you however bringing your own means you are not disappointed when the on board fails, which is becoming more common as it gets more complicated or when there is absolutely nothing worth watching. (Do not forget that the needs of a vacation flyer doing long haul once year are different from someone who commutes long haul weekly.)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Us road warriors need our gadgets to keep us company. We are then prepared for every eventuality. I always carry a 2 pin, 3 way adaptor for example. Thus when in a hotel room with only one plug handy for the light, I put in my adaptor, and can charge my phone, iPad or whatever.

I also have a small portable charger in case of power cuts or if no electricty available, headphones and portable speakers. A few USB sticks, 3 phones, 1 iPad, a Swiss Army knife (unless carrying only hand baggage), a set of pens and pencils, 3 cigars in a mini humidor and a cigar cutter as well as a good supply of matches.

The I’m set!

RichHI1
    Participant

Looking at buying a laptop with 3D to watch blu rays on plane, that should get me hated….the new Sony 3D virtual reality headset I saw in Tokyo is cool. I hope it is lighter than the Glasstron which used to give me headaches after 30 minutes.

stevescoots
    Participant

I hate you! 🙂 🙂 🙂

VintageKrug
    Participant

It’s interesting that BA is now introducing iPads in some premium cabins; perhaps this is the way forward, saving huge amounts on IFE installation and reducing weight on board.

ReturnOfTheSaint
    Participant

I was at a GGL lunch hosted by Sir Martin a couple of weeks ago and this very subject was raised by the senior BA people at the event, as it is something they have been looking very seriously at.

One option we were asked our views on, was having a WiFi network on board, which would allow content to be streamed from a server to your tablet/laptop. As I understand it, this is all to do with what VK has alluded to, the huge cost savings that could be made on IFE installations. It was acknowledged that even with the recent IFE upgrades in new First, the screen quality was still far inferior to what pax have with their own laptop/ iPad (other tablet devices are available 😉

Someone did point out that EK, SQ and even QF seem to be able to offer far better quality IFE hardware than BA have managed to do.

The discussion then moved on to talk about the onboard WiFi service available on the CWLCY service and everyone who had tried this said it was excellent, but nobody wanted it enabling for making calls (which the crew can do, as they left this feature activated once by mistake).

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls