Irish Trains

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Swissdiver, the ‘boxes’ you refer to are known as snugs and they are common across all parts of Ireland in traditional pubs.

It is great to see the Europa operating along ‘normal’ hotel lines. When I lived in Belfast in the late 1970s/ early 1980s, access to this hotel (and many others) was through extensive security with searches of both luggage and person at point of entry.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Tomin,
    “the ‘boxes’ you refer to are known as snugs and they are common across all parts of Ireland in traditional pubs.”
    Also in the Republic? Never saw them in Dublin…

TominScotland
    Participant

Absolutely, Swissdiver. Go to one of my favourites, Finnegans in Dalkey, and you’ll find some great snugs. Down the country (as the Irish say), snugs are found in many pubs throughout the 32 countries.

Swissdiver
    Participant

OK, Tomin. Thanks. For some reason, the pubs I visited in Dublin didn’t have the feature…

SimonS1
    Participant

Swissdiver – re the ‘most bombed’ bit. I haven’t stayed there for about 10 years now but there was a plaque in the foyer about this.

It was also the subject of a BBC documentary a couple of years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014vzyt

Not sure of the bar almost directly opposite but that had some good snugs.

That bar is indeed The Crown, Simon.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Arrival into the Republic of Ireland with Aer Lingus recommends (other carriers are similar) one of

Valid passport
    Driving licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo

Hence, you DO NOT NEED an Passport.

You do need to be able to convince the Garda at the counter as to your identity, where a normal picture driving license will suffice. (Assuming you also have a boarding card showing you arrived from Britain, rather than from France etc.

Keep in mind that the irish would be very unhappy to HAVE to buy a passport at close to euro100, just to travel to Britain.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls