Headphones: In Ear or Over Ear ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

• K1ngston
    Participant

When I was in Changi yesterday I bought some Bose In Ear Sports headphones built specifically for training purposes as they are sweat and rain proof.

I spent a long time looking at the different options as to what works best, and I guess my question to you all is when you’re on a plane what are your headsets of choice?

I know most of you “Captains of Industry” travelling in the front of the plane will have over the ear noise cancelling as standard issue, but when you are sitting in the back you have to make do with user chooser so what is your preference?

Going in ear is a first for me, as I have always gone with cumbersome over the ear but I was blown away with the choice of in ear and now noise cancelling too!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I have both, but I have found the bulk of over ear now means I go with in-ear more often. I have reviewed some recent choices here

https://www.businesstraveller.com/tried-and-tested-category/tech/

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 thanks for this Tom, I must agree the new in ear seem more comfortable, albeit I have not been on a long journey my 3.5 hour to Dhaka yesterday probably doesn’t fully test what in ear gives against the over ears I have used in the past …

A little late for me now I just spent a few bob on replacing, I do not want to suffer the wrath of “the boss” indoors!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I think having a few different ones make sense.

When I was in Hong Kong a few years ago I bought some wireless Bluetooth Jabra ones for the hotel gyms, but they’ve been disappointing. Pairing them with my phone is never easy, and then the battery life for them is poor as well, so I’ve gone back to using the ones that are provided in the hotel gym (if they are provided) or my standard ones – though that runs the risk of my hand catching the wire and pulling my phone onto the treadmill, which is always a little disruptive to the workout.

K1ngston
    Participant

Tom, the Bose I bought yesterday are superb, they paired instantly to my phone, they stayed in the ear which is something I always have an issue with and the sound is typically Bose with loads of bass and the clarity is amazing …..

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’ve always had trouble keeping in ear earphones in my ear (forever falling out).
    While I wouldn’t wear them to the gym, I have a pair of the Bose Quiet Comfort 35’s, which are excellent.
    2 minutes searching online (in the UK) found a number of different suppliers, all less expensive than purchasing so called tax free at LHR.

K1ngston
    Participant

Alan, check out the Bose “SoundSport Pulse” wireless headphones on the website. They also have a heart monitor which pairs with an app that you download as well …. And before anyone asks I dont work for Bose I am just a fan …..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

For those who find the in-ear fall out, there is the over ear, but in-ear option (confusing, I know) – this latest review is an example of it.

Headphones review: Brainwavz B200 earphones

The wire loops over your ear and then goes into your ear, removing any effect of gravity in pulling them out of your ear.

I wear them for 90 minutes every morning (and again in the evening) for my train commute and then walk through London. Comfortable and secure in your ear (well, mine) but of course.

The cord does tangle though…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

On business, when hand luggage space is at a premium, I use Audio Technika in ear (old model, but similar to these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-ANC33IS-Active-cancelling-headphones/dp/B00CL3TAOQ

For longhaul leisure travel, Bose QC15 (over ear), which are comfortable and have great noise cancelling.

The Audio Technika noise cancelling is not as good as the Bose, but it is good enough and excellent VFM.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I rarely use ear or head phones, preferring to read, but when I do I use the free ones that came with my Samsung S7. They work just fine for me and are perfect for listening to Podcasts of Desert Island Discs or Just a Minute.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I have used Bose for a number of years and have found nothing to perform better.

Currently using Bose Bluetooth over ear noise cancelling which I bought in Philly airport (on the very day they were released as it happens) and was handed a very generous trade in against my older pair of Bose over ear non BT.
    I find the Bluetooth works really well, with my phones and tablets, the rechargeable built in battery has excellent life and the sound clarity is first rate. Standard airline plugs also part of the package.

Doubt I would swap them.

I dislike ‘in ear’ devices as I find them to be uncomfortable.

K1ngston
    Participant

seasonedtraveller so there is cable for connecting to IFE?? The in ear ones dont have that capability unfortunately

thebigseats
    Participant

I use Bose in-ear exclusively when travelling. Comfortable, small & they work very well. I hate over ear headsets because they are ridiculously bulky, both to pack & to use.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

[quote quote=821133]seasonedtraveller so there is cable for connecting to IFE?? The in ear ones dont have that capability unfortunately

[/quote]

Some do, it depends if they come with the adaptor for the IFE system.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

[quote quote=821133]seasonedtraveller so there is cable for connecting to IFE?? The in ear ones dont have that capability unfortunately

[/quote]

Yes.
    Both the standard single pin connector and the standard double pin connector airline adaptor.
    Take care though, some airlines, SAS for one, have unique triple connectors on board (so people don’t steal the headsets from the business cabin) and in this case you have to use the inferior product offered by the airline in question. So far, ive only been affected by SAS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls