IFE not working – Avios?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• JPNU
    Participant

On a recent 9 hour BA flight (my last for the forseeable future), my IFE system would not work despite multiple resets.

The CSD was helpful and said she would report it and I would be given Avios points as an apology.

One month later, the apology has arrived but with no mention of Avios. I assume this is in the hope I am too British to actually ask for them although I had thought it was standard practice to mollify passengers in this way with points.

Any experience or thoughts?

GivingupBA
    Participant

My thought is – that is one more in a long string of broken promises by BA.

Sorry to hear you didn’t get your Avios.

JJ
    Participant

Hi JPNU

I had a similar issue with a broken screen on a flight back from the Caribbean in Club and the Stewardess (remember them?) offered me 9000 Avios which I accepted.

I just checked my EC account and they were credited within 10 days, so I would give them a quick call.

JPNU
    Participant

Thanksfor the info. I have emailed BA to follow up. I’ll keep you posted.

PlaneSpeaking
    Participant

Hi JPNU,

Did you receive a reply from BA? I’m intrigued as on a recent trip from LHR to DXB on a 777, the crew spent the first 5 hours rebooting the broken IFE system which also disabled the F and J seats as part of the process and at one point, my partner had to eat lying down!

Do let us know and good luck with your claim.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The only time I have successfully received avios is when politely asking for them during the flight.

The CSD then offered 9,000 whcih seems to be the going rate.

I have also received that amount for a freezing cold flight in CW returning from Hong Kong.

On a recent flight in economy, two of our screens did not work (there were four of us) but I didn’t do anything about it other than request they made a note of it since the next set of passengers in the seats would be disappointed. I’m not sure how feasible it is to fix screens / witing on a quick change around, but I suppose the engineers at LHR will try.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Maybe 10 years ago, This happened to me on EI transatlantic. I was in J and it was full. My IFE and Mrs ExPats did not work. I found out that they knew about this before take off and had tried to repair it before take off. I was only told about the defect when the doors closed up.

The offered me Euro 200 in vouchers (which could only be used in a travel agent on non web fares, remember the days).

I rejected and issued a small claims court writ.

The court clerk called a few weeks later and indicated that EI would agree to my initil request which was 2 vouchers for a Y to J upgrade on a Transatlantic route.

If it happened again I would do the same thing. The IFE is an advertised part of the service and one pays a premium (especially in J) to have an enjoyable journey including IFE. I am happy for a Judge to decide on the merits if I have no success with the airline.

Only difference now is really that with the advent of Laptop and iPad based entertainment, I’d probably be able to enjoy the journey anyway. I would have thought that it would be a good idea to have a few spare Ipads on flights in case a few seats go down.

JPNU
    Participant

Update – my request was denied even though it was actually an offer from the CSD.

I will follow up again but I was very, very surprised. Avios cost the company comparatively little and go a long way to generating good will and good publicity.

canucklad
    Participant

Don’t give up JPNU, it’s common practice for BA to reject just about every claim in the first instance
    Keeps the shareholders delighted : )

Next time you make contact, be a bit more assertive and suggest your disappointment on how you’ve been treated might be shared on Social Media

Should focus the BA brain into responding more favourably!!

JPNU
    Participant

Update – I can report that, after sending a third email, I have been offered 3000 Avios.

I have lost interest in this and I’m sure the forum is already aware of my low opinion of the airline.

Happily, my flight patterns are changing so I shan’t need BA any more. On a slightly concerning note, A flight has just been booked for me that was less than half the price of the nearest competitor. It is on United. Gee, I wonder why it could be so cheap??? I do hope we won’t hear any more horror stories about them, at least until after my trip has ended!

PlaneSpeaking
    Participant

Hi JPNU,

So sorry to hear this. In the end, I did rather well although I am the angriest dog with the most annoying bone. I’d recommend you push back.

Good luck.

K1ngston
    Participant

Don’t forget your boxing gloves JNPU!

Related to the OP, I had this happen to me on a VS flight back from SFO many years ago which simply led me to never fly the airline again! I was in Upper Class upstairs on a 747 and the whole decks IFE went down ..

I was sitting next to a guy who was at pains to tell me how he had been upgraded at the gate which I had no issue about and he was well made up and enjoying himself

When the Purser cam around to tell us the IFE was not going to be working for the whole flight we were all angry but he said that he was authorised to give us all miles or points or a voucher for duty free which I accepted. He went away and came back with a £45 voucher for me and for the guy next to me? I asked whether the fact I had paid 3 times the amount for my ticket that it should justify a larger recompense than my friend sitting next to me as he had only paid for a PE seat…

The Purser didnt see it that way and referred it upstairs so to speak and I got one of the “Dear John” letter apologising for the inconvenience blah blah and I wrote back and I wanted them to acknowledge that if you are giving people something for their inconvenience it needs to be based on the cost that the person paid for the seat against someone who luckily had been upgraded to the seat?

They disagreed and I told them as a user chooser and the budget holder for a team of 12 regularly flying the LHR-SFO route that I would never use their airline again and strike them also from the PL which didnt faze them and as such have never set foot again… So it does happen across the board..

SQ on the other hand were quick to notify me when I had paid for a Preferred Seat which had IFE issues and they promptly upgraded me .. Thank you SQ

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

K1ngston, an upgrade from SQ . You are indeed blessed!

K1ngston
    Participant

Apparently so CathayLoyalist2, its happened to me on more than one occasion but I certainly know what you mean…..

SwissExPat
    Participant

I would suggest that, if available to you based on your location, the Small Claims court is where you need to go. IMHO you can get justice there if you have the time to spend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls