IAG group´s new airline – Level

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

52,000 sounds a big number, that’s no doubt why they released this tweet.

On the other hand, Ryanair sells* 320,000 tickets per day, day in, day out, not just with special promotional fares at the launch, when public interest is high.

Will be interesting to see what it settles down to.

*117 million passengers carried per annum divided by 365 days

Jetcruiser
    Participant

Interesting analogy by ONE MILE AT A TIME…

“Let’s assume that by 52,000 tickets they mean 52,000 one-way tickets. LEVEL A330-200s have a total of 314 seats. That means that on day one they sold out 165+ planes. They’ll eventually operate 10 weekly frequencies in each direction across their four routes, or a total of 20 weekly frequencies roundtrip. That means that on day one they sold out every single flight for over eight weeks. As of now they’re only selling tickets through mid-October, which would mean that they’ve sold nearly half of all seats on day one.”

WHOA: New “LEVEL” Transatlantic Airline Sold 52K Tickets On Day One!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=796511]Interesting analogy by ONE MILE AT A TIME…

“Let’s assume that by 52,000 tickets they mean 52,000 one-way tickets. LEVEL A330-200s have a total of 314 seats. That means that on day one they sold out 165+ planes. They’ll eventually operate 10 weekly frequencies in each direction across their four routes, or a total of 20 weekly frequencies roundtrip. That means that on day one they sold out every single flight for over eight weeks. As of now they’re only selling tickets through mid-October, which would mean that they’ve sold nearly half of all seats on day one.”

[/quote]

I don’t buy into that logic – the aircraft has 314 seats, being 293 economy and 21 premium.

How many premium seats will have been sold? (I doubt all and these seats will be significant to profitability.

Not all Y seats will have been offered at low fares and once again, this will be important to profitability. How many higher priced Y tickets ahve been sold?

As RFerguson said, a quick paint job and the 330s can go back into Iberia mainline service – so IAG is taking a prudent approach to testing the water, whilst at the same time giving Norwegian a bit of pain.

For me, the jury is out.

TheLion
    Participant

Rant alert!!

ARGHHH! THIS IS BLOODY AWFUL!

I really want this venture to fail. The name is meaningless to everyone, Spanish and English speakers alike, plus everyone else who is in existence. It’s also confusing for ATC when pilots detail their flying height.

The livery is one of the worst I’ve ever seen. I kind of like the square but the rest is beyond hideous. It makes the newish Iberia livery actually look classy!

On the flipside, the website design placeholder is decent and actually artistic. I agree with others on here that it does have elements of 20th century art. I don’t know why the livery and design don’t reflect that instead of this monstrosity.

What were they thinking?!? I want to cry. It’s that bad.

They had a chance to either create a new pan-European low cost long haul brand or smartly utilise an existing brand like Vueling. They also could’ve thought ahead to the potential for Catalan independence and set up a base for Iberia (Express?) to operate a low(er?) cost service which would be ideally positioned to serve the significant market that would be created after independence.

What is clear is that IAG’s management have been in power far too long. The company needs a change of direction from their to-bone cost cutting, bland corporatism, poor treatment of staff, uncaring attitude to customers, disdain towards frequent flyers and so on.

In my view this is the epitome of neoliberal corporatism, its bloated corpse refusing to die, despite being already dead.

And…I did a search myself for October to LAX and some fares were more expensive than Iberia. All that and you have to add on bags, meals etc to compare like for like. If they’re going to charge similar for less why even bother with a new LCC brand?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Jetcruiser – that is exactly what I was told! 52% load factor as of late Monday evening (20th). I didn’t question it as the person I asked is someone I’ve known for a number of years and has always been plausible.

transtraxman
    Participant

It is perhaps too early to speculate about which new European departure airports LEVEL will fly from after starting at Barcelona considering LEVEL is still not up in the air.
    However, anna.aero has already done that so the speculation can start.

“LEVEL launches four routes from Barcelona base; will Fiumicino and Orly be next?”
    (anna.aero 22-3-17)

http://www.anna.aero/2017/03/22/level-launches-four-routes-barcelona-base-will-fiumicino-orly-next/?utm_source=anna.aero+newsletter&utm_campaign=06e3cef73f-anna_nl_220317&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ecdbf41674-06e3cef73f-86737162

Their conclusions are based on the number of Vueling flights/seats into those airports to provide the feed for the long-distance flights. Rome and Paris are Vueling´s biggest destinations after Barcelona.

Those starting `points provoked me to think about what will happen in connection with “Open Skies”(at Orly) and “Meridiana” (at Rome). “Open Skies” has been going nowhere except New York for many years now so one questions its future. Would it not be a good opportunity to merge it into LEVEL?

“Meridiana” is 49% owned by Qatar Airways (which in turn owns 20% of IAG). I cannot see this airline remaining on its own. It cannot be taken over by Qatar (because Qatar is not European) but yes could be folded into IAG. It offers its own Italian domestic network (for feeds) and a large number of (mostly) leisure routes long distance both east and west. It looks to be a good candidate for LEVEL to take over.

But then we will just have to wait and see.

trident3
    Participant

Lion
    I agree with some (most) of your rant, but I’d like to think they’ve already thought out
    possible confusion between ‘Level’ the airline nam, and ‘Flight Level’ ATC parlance.

The name on the side of the aircraft is not always the same as its callsign, after all.

Perhaps they’ll call up as ‘Viking-buster’….

Defcon5
    Participant

Looking forward to the day when they merge with US carrier Spirit.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=797299]Looking forward to the day when they merge with US carrier Spirit.

[/quote]

ROTFL.

Their corporate values probably fit pretty well, too.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls