IAG group´s new airline – Level

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Managed to make a dummy booking and I don’t think it’s cheap. From €688 in the basic class up to over €1,700 for a flexible ticket.

PE has 37″ pitch compared to 30″, bigger screens and 2-3-2 seating.

Details Of LEVEL, IAG’s New Transatlantic Low Cost Airline

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=796384]Managed to make a dummy booking and I don’t think it’s cheap. From €688 in the basic class up to over €1,700 for a flexible ticket.

PE has 37″ pitch compared to 30″, bigger screens and 2-3-2 seating.

[/quote]

The seat pitch is interesting; Iberia premium economy is 37″, so I guess these ‘Level’ aircraft have been diverted from an Iberia order, but if they are trying to compete with Norwegian, their premium economy is 46″ – pretty much like a business class 20 years ago and nine inches extra – that will be really noticeable.

The people who buy ‘Y’ will just buy on price, but the savvy premium traveller should choose Norwegian, which may force Level to use pricing elasticity to compete (e.g. discount).

canucklad
    Participant

A LCC will not use old and presumably thirsty aircraft, unless they are confident of loads and margins.
    The excellent Zoom couldn’t sustain operations after the perfect storm of high fuel prices ( inevitable) and its old 767’s
    I assume Level have chosen the 330 because of its fuel efficiency.

Also clever to use Barcelona,as this will tap into a guaranteed Catalan bias.

Loved the tag line, IAG takes flying to a new Level…. I just wonder if that level will end up soaring with the eagles, or clucking about with the chickens.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is it likely that IAG will create a more integrated reservation/booking system for their 6 passenger carriers? Will IAG carriers be competing between themselves or working together to create a more fluid and efficient travel experience for the passenger?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=796391]A LCC will not use old and presumably thirsty aircraft, unless they are confident of loads and margins.
    The excellent Zoom couldn’t sustain operations after the perfect storm of high fuel prices ( inevitable) and its old 767’s
    I assume Level have chosen the 330 because of its fuel efficiency.

Also clever to use Barcelona,as this will tap into a guaranteed Catalan bias.

Loved the tag line, IAG takes flying to a new Level…. I just wonder if that level will end up soaring with the eagles, or clucking about with the chickens.

[/quote]

LOL – I wonder if they can borrow the words of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe – ‘Less is more’?

Or to bring it up-to-date ‘Less for More’.

transtraxman
    Participant

How did the powers that be arrive at the name of the airline?

Apart from the slogan previously mentioned,……
    “..takes flying to a new level”,
    I presume there is an element of…………
    “..to be on the level”, i.e. to be open and honest.. as is..
    “to level with somebody”, i.e. to explain in an open and honest way.
    These seem appropriate for a LCC airline.

Any other ideas?

wowzimmer
    Participant

So this new airline is going to launch in the same month as Norwegian launches long-haul flights from the same airport. But the fares to the U.S. are going to be half the price. And it’s just using Iberia metal and crew. I smell a rat… or at least this article does.
    http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2017/03/18/new-low-cost-airline-level-cynical-ploy-iag/

Panda01
    Participant

wowzimmer- I was also thinking about what Al Baker said. I think it is a temporary attempt to compete with Norwegian and this is a cheap way to do it, since it’s mostly the cosmetics that need to be changed.

Cloud-9
    Participant

@transtraxman The only reason I can think of is BCNs ICAO is LEBL which may sound similar to Level (I think B in Spanish is pronounced like the English V) phonetically.

Bit of a long shot though!

transtraxman
    Participant

@Cloud-9 #796409
    You are certainly correct that LEBL in Spanish is pronounced the same as/similarly to “Level” in English. It could be because Barcelona is the home base, but it would not explain any other base in Europe.
    Maybe it is one in several reasons for the choice of name. I still think, however, that its effect is flat.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

They probably spent £3,000,000 to an agency to come up with that name, a name a schoolboy could have thought of for ten bob and a sherbet dip?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=796412]They probably spent £3,000,000 to an agency to come up with that name, a name a schoolboy could have thought of for ten bob and a sherbet dip?

[/quote]

I reckon the schoolboy would want a quid and a bag of flying saucers for thinking of a Palindrome 😉

Flightlevel
    Participant

Its been done before, remember Eagle at LHR (EGLL) and others I forget now, it means more to Spanish people and currency is Euros! IAG is registered in Madrid I believe?

rferguson
    Participant

I reckon IAG are testing the water with Level without too much commitment.

A loco airline comprising two repainted IB aircraft being operated by IB crews is not going to be the way to operate a competitive LOCO.

I guess if the demand is there IAG will recruit staff on ‘level’ contracts and reconfigure some 330’s to 3x3x3.

rferguson
    Participant

They sold 52K tickets on day one of sales.

https://twitter.com/flywithlevelEN/status/843125135448182784

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls