IAG group´s new airline – Level

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Published today on IAG´s website.

This announces the startup on their new low cost long distance airline LEVEL from June 2017. Flights will initially leave from Barcelona to Los Angeles, Oakland, Buenos Aires and Punta Cana. Others leaving points in Europe will be added later.

The aircraft will initially be crewed by Iberia pèrsonnel.

“IAG Takes Flying To A New Level”

http://www.es.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-newsArticle_Print&ID=2254699

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Hi transtaxman – we’ve also published a piece here, and I’m gradually updating it with more details and images:

IAG unveils details of new “Level” low-cost long-haul carrier

Panda01
    Participant

I wonder if it will expand into other countries such as the UK to challenge Norwegian? I think the ability to earn Avios will help it to attract customers.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I agree that avios will be attractive but I wonder whether lounge access, for oneword status, will remain the same as Vueling…?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Panda – As you may know BA will be operating older B777s ex-LGW configured 10-across so it already has one solution to compete with Norwegian.

British Airways to join ten-across club

openfly
    Participant

I suppose that it is inevitable that the BA Gatwick operation will come under the Level brand, with a fleet of old 777s ready to be painted immediately.
    I just hope that the Vueling long-haul operation is more successful than the short-haul one after the recent IAG results! Iberia, BA and Aer Lingus all showing a healthy profit and Vueling showing an unhealthy loss….

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

will it go the same way as ‘Go’

AlanOrton1
    Participant

It will be interesting to see if this announcement will spur EasyJet and Ryanair to move into long haul.

Norwegian has and Veuling is (albeit under a different name).

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=796332]I suppose that it is inevitable that the BA Gatwick operation will come under the Level brand, with a fleet of old 777s ready to be painted immediately.
    I just hope that the Vueling long-haul operation is more successful than the short-haul one after the recent IAG results! Iberia, BA and Aer Lingus all showing a healthy profit and Vueling showing an unhealthy loss….

[/quote]

Remind me who was CEO if Vueling for quite a while?

openfly
    Participant

@FDOS….exactly!!

Flightlevel
    Participant

Logical they will compete directly with NO so LGW is likely one of their ‘future EU destinations’ and ofcourse they don’t have to use IB crews since it appears it is an IAG AOC!
    It may dilute Aer Lingus loads if they operate from Ireland although that may be ok if Aer Lingus goes upmarket?
    In theory they could operate from Oslo too, interesting! Jealous of their internet address though!

transtraxman
    Participant

What is it that makes people think that because LEVEL will be a lost cost airline it will use old B777-200s?
    If they are going to eventually use old B777s, why is the start-up airline going to use brand new A330s?
    Being a low-cost airline is it not more logical to start with and continue with the same type of aircraft, at the very least for maintenance reasons?
    Is there not a measure of prejudice against IAG/BA/Iberia here?

Why is it some people, obviously, do not read the posts before posting their own superfluous replies?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Out of curiosity I tried the website to get an idea of fares.
    It didn’t work and all I got was a long message saying they didn’t know if the error was temporary or permanent!

I wonder if you can through check from London to LAX via BCN for example?

mkcol74
    Participant

I was surprised to see Level have only gone for 8 abreast in economy, not 9.
    Also disappointed that their website doesn’t have a seatmap…which makes me wonder if their premium is the same cross-section but simply with greater legroom.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Had a quick look at some fares to Oakland for November. I wouldn’t say they are overly brilliant and it seems BA & Iberia fares are being offered at the same time. For ex-UK passengers, we still need to get to BCN..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls