IAG Capital Markets Day 2016

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• YellowBelly
    Participant

According to The BA Source the B772 revamp will include “with the addition of 52 seats comes the removal of three toilets”.
    Fantastic news for anyone contemplating a family holiday to the Caribbean then……………..

Cyberstreak1
    Participant

Capital market presentation link at the bottom of this summary; Here

Apologies if already posted (but didn’t see it)

Cyberstreak1
    Participant

Sorry – duff link. This from Flyertalk

rferguson
    Participant

The Club World revamp will be interesting. The fact is BA can announce all sorts of enhancements that the gulf carriers etc offer – a la carte dining, making up beds etc etc – but unless they have the crew complement on board to do it it will be like pi**ing in a paper bag.

The fact is other airlines just don’t tend to have configurations like BA. There aren’t a lot of carriers out there with 97J class seats on an A380 or 86 on a 747. Qatar is one airline that offers a superb experience in J – probably everything BA wishes it could be. But then you have to look at the crew they have on board. I mentioned in my recent QR trip report. On a 777-300 the J class cabin has 42 seats and eight cabin crew – BA has five for 56 seats on the 777-300 and four for 48 seats on a 777-200. So one doesn’t need to be a mathematician to work out how QR can offer dine on demand etc.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=773254]On shorthaul:
    A320 goes from 168 seats to 180 seats (an extra two rows squeezed in)
    A321 goes from 205 to 218 seats

Yikes.

[/quote]

I recall when I was crew for Monarch ~20 years ago they were squeezing 180 pax in their A320s. So BA have finally plunged to most charter carrier’s depths.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Openfly,

Well, after the successful introduction of M&S sandwiches (which I cannot eat owing to the ubiquitous presence of Palm oil/fat), perhaps the next BOB will be DIY DVT kits for the Y pax in 10-across?

I am finding the experience of trying non-LON O&D points across different parts of Europe for my L/H excursions to be increasingly interesting – as well as substantially cheaper.

YellowBelly
    Participant

Was there any mention in the presentation about reducing the fuel surcharge due to the low oil prices?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Two other points grabbed my attention. No mentions this year of chasing an investment grade debt rating and less attention on ROCE with the explicit comments that operational efficiencies were not the same as cost cutting. Really?!

And the flagged up spend of some £400M on improvements to the CW offering. F&B is a relatively quick turnaround but the cabin quality is, as evidenced by the years (decades?) it took to implement New First, rather harder/longer to address. The latter particularly so when Cruz has (correct me if I’ve misinterpreted him) ruled out refitting any of the existing fleet.

MrMichael
    Participant

I too was surprised at the somewhat confusing comms on the CW upgrade. If as he did say it will not be retrofitted then I don’t see how £400m can be spent, I mean, what exactly will he spend it on. Even if a huge so far unannounced plane buying spree is to take place then he still can realistically expect people to accept it is a £400m upgrade. Fitting a new aircraft with new CW costs are within the new aircraft budget, not upgrade. Makes no sense to me at all.

greyhawkgeoff
    Participant

just a couple of further points from last weeks IAG presentation-

Yellowbelly, as far as I recall there was no mention made of the surcharge situation which from memory is now termed a carrier imposed charge – and that has no connection directly or indirectly with fuel prices, though it may have originated in that era. When questioned about IAG’s intentions re the fall in sterling and the possibility of reducing $ fares as a result, Willie Walsh emphatically and quickly advised the questioner that they would seek to increase margins rather than cut fares over the North Atlantic. Praise was heaped at times upon the industry’s discipline to reduce capacity this winter rather than cut prices. Draw your own conclusions!

Besides the long trailed densification of the 777-200’s at Gatwick and now some at Heathrow, the fleet plan slide (107) advises that the 747 fleet will reduce from a total of 36 at 31 12 16 to 23 in 2020 rather than 19 at last years Capital Markets Day presentation. The 777 and 380 fleets are steady at 58 and 12. Rumours in the US of acquisition of second hand aircraft that are now becoming available are not confirmed therefore. But perhaps more of interest is that the A350 and B787 numbers are ‘under review’. Any reduction in purchasing or deferment of deliveries would be part of the reduction of capex over the coming years – from memory from 2.5bn euro to c 1.7bn for the group. The ratio of non owned/leased aircraft for the group is likely to rise from 30% to 40%. The number of A320 family hulls is reduced from 396 to 362 over the same timespan. The Vueling presentation was specific enough to see that their fleet growth is to be substantially slowed along with that of Iberia, but 34 frames is quite a reduction.

No mention was made of Openskies but their one newly acquired retired BA 767 is shown as having left the fleet by 2020. Will we ever discover the strategic plan for them? Or indeed the LCY A318 operation?

rferguson
    Participant

greyhawkgeoff I know that the A350 orders have been delayed. I guess with oil prices low the fully paid for 747’s are looking more attractive.

rferguson
    Participant

Just also to add – in terms of ‘customer satisfaction’ the refurbished 747’s have the highest ratings of all BA aircraft (in J/W/Y) from customers for the cabin interior, comfort and IFE – greater than that of the new A380’s or 787’s.

TheLion
    Participant

[quote quote=773627] …which I cannot eat owing to the ubiquitous presence of Palm oil/fat)…
    [/quote]

Hopefully your allergy to palm oil is at least in part on environmental grounds 🙂

sparkyflier
    Participant

787s is no surprise.. Economy on that plane is bloody awful and I have sat in more spacious and comfortable bus seats.

I have been in Y and J seats on the refurbished 747s and both were superb and very comfortable indeed.

The Y seat on a 787 is frankly the worse airline seat I have ever been in, and that was for just 20 seconds. The Y seats on refreshed 777s are nice but of course may not last..

A380S are decent in J and Y+ and I recommend these to friends..

TheLion
    Participant

So any further update on BA’s A350 & B787 orders, perhaps details on how many have been delayed and how long for? Also IAG A330 and A350 orders for IUB and EI?

Cheers
    The Lion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls