I got a \'gold\' welcome the other day….

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Just flew ZB from FAO to BHX and no Gold greeting or recognition

Vistaro
    Participant

Completely hit and miss. Do about 25/30 long haul a year in Business or first, GGL member and Lifetime, probably happened 4/5 times in the last year, in fact happens a little more on my short haul connection to MAN than it does on the long haul.

peterraven
    Participant

I’m actually a “nothing” on Singapore Airlines and was surprised to be addressed by name when travelling in Premium Economy to and from Dubai recently

That’s a first!!!

alainboy56
    Participant

I get welcomed personally at the door on boarding, before take-off by the CSD and also after take off by the personal crew member on QR, on ‘every’ flight, even short legs like AUH-DOH. Am taking ‘alaingirl’ to AMM next week for a big b’day, so she will get the same treatment being she is on my booking. QR really are the best and AAB the CEO, is really is ‘going out of his way’ to keep his regular customers. He knows we all have a choice.

openfly
    Participant

With the close contacts, and ownership of a large chunk of BA, maybe it is time to direct our feedback about declining standards in BA to the boss at Qatar.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Came back yesterday, not even ‘welcome back’ at the door on boarding, then totally ignored apart from ‘would you like a hot sandwich’ – no thank you, ‘would you like breakfast’ – only a glass of water, please.

It was reassuring that we were back to the usual mixed fleet TLC 😉

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Honestly, I’ve had more welcomes from non status airlines than I’ve had from BA over the past 3-4 years.
    welcomed at seat by name recently with;

Qatar
    Lufthansa
    Malaysia
    Thai
    American (now that was unusual!)

My surname can be difficult to pronounce…..I wonder if that’s what stops BA from saying hello 😉

Vistaro
    Participant

Same experience here 🙂

alainboy56
    Participant

Talking about personal experiences as we are, and this comment is not reference to anyone’s status, but I took a flight AMS-AUH with KLM last year and was sat in the gate lounge when the crew arrived and they went around, not personally, but kind of area by area, wishing everyone a good morning and thanks for flying with KLM. Furthermore on the same flight, before start-up, the Capt came and made his personal welcome announcement to the Biz section in person obviously without a mic. Anyway I am not sure if this was something normal with KLM, (as I do not normally fly with them) or that I was just extremely lucky that day, however nice touches.

SimonS1
    Participant

If you get your kicks from the gold welcome on any airline then good for you. Great to hear that it delivers some sort of feel good factor and a boost to the old self esteem.

Personally I detest it. In my experience it is rarely done with any sincerity, and I don’t need the people sat nearby to be impressed or bored by a crew member giving me some flannel. Emirates seem to have almost 100% success rate with it, but if I see the crew member coming I pretend I’m asleep.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1

I agree with you, normally, it’s toe curling – the amazing thing was that the CSM who came to see me seemd to be sincere, didn’t have an iPad with him, didn’t make any gestures like bringing a bottle of water or a glass of champagne, just genuinely seemed to want to say hello and say if you need me at any stage, just ask my colleagues to ping me.

It won’t make me love BA, but it was well done.

Stowage222
    Participant

Martyn, re BOB on Long haul and getting a free drink. My understanding on the current short haul BOB is that Tourvest ‘own’ the product, not BA, and therefore this is why nothing can be taken from the rear trollies and moved forward FOC. One can only assume this will be the preferred model when this happens LH shortly. I predict charged for drinks in WT on LH within 12-15 months. Meals I’m not so sure about as I don’t think the current chargeable WT meal enhancements have been taken up as widely as they hoped.

No Name
    Participant

As someone who has had various problems with BA, over 23 years of five or six Business Class trips to the USA each year, being greeted on board is not one of them. Pleased to say that on almost every occasion, my wife and I have been genuinely welcomed on board, often accompanied with a chat.

Sanran
    Participant

Always welcomed by name on SQ, often on LX. But the best came on a fully booked LH KRK-FRA flight. Sitting anonymously in the middle of eco class with a colleague, the staff was giving everyone a bretzel amd a drink and the attendant addressed me with my name: you should have seen the face of my colleague and a few other passengers! (I have gold status, nevertheless on such flights it is very rare to my experience). Well done LH

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls