How will the Olympics affect your business travel?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

I will have to disagree about the ceremony being mediocre – I have had loads of emails and sms from friends worldwide who totally loved the ceremony and thought it was outstanding. In the UK friends from overseas were really inspired them and in their eyes helped them to have adopted London as their new home city.

Friends from Brazil are especially impressed/disappointed, wondering how they will be able to improve on that in 4 years time. ..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I wrote elsewhere that it will all be ok on the day, and it seems it is. So typical, and a real shame, that Brits moan and groan about what a disaster it will be, it’s discussed in Parliament, as if there’s nothing better to discuss!

In the end there’s no congestion, security is fine, (apart from Plod losing the keys to the stadium) transport is working just great, the army have not shot any planes down and there’s been virtually no crime.

A success so far I’d say. Now if we could just get a few golds!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

BeckyBoop – 31/07/2012 13:35 GMT

More than 20m people in the UK were still watching after midnight. Almost 1 in 3 of the entire population. At its peak 27m people were tuned in. 41m people watched in the USA (higher than for the opening of the Atlanta games on home territory) and over 1 billion globally. Not bad figures for a mediocre event.

The immigration issues were due entirely to insufficient desks being manned. We are talking about 3 months ago when the issues at Heathrow started, I don’t think you will find people were arriving for the games at that point (unless their PAs cocked up their travel plans).

My name is Simon btw.

malbarda
    Participant

How will the Olympics affect your business travel?

It won’t.

scott66
    Participant

I wonder if we all have managed and pre-planed our Olympic travel arrangements – Prepare for the worst and hope for the best (wasn’t that a boy scout mantra?)

I think perhaps the media feeding us all the idea of gridlock and meltdown has left us all surprised how easy getting around central London currently is.

When it’s all over we’ll be left with the glowing feeling of satisfaction and a glut of eight week old BMWs on the used car market.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls