How to get an upgrade to P/E on a code share when the airline doesn't sell it

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Alison
    Participant

I am looking to travel from MAN to YUL and have been assigned Brussels Airlines by the travel agent, in economy. As the second leg is over 6 hours I was hoping to upgrade to P/E. The second leg, from Brussels to Montreal is actually operated by Air Canada. They will sell a P/E seat for the flight on their website. Brussels Air only offer economy or Business (and £1200 extra is too much) on their website. Is there any way to buck the system and actually buy a P/E seat?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Alison, What does the travel agent say ? Are both flights booked with Brussels Airlines ?

Brussels-Montreal is operated by Air Canada and code-shared by Brussels Airlines.

Flight time is 7 hrs 30 mins for Brussels-Montreal.

If you really want Premium Economy it might be easier to cancel the above and rebook with, say, BA/AC/AF via LHR/CDG.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

You can ask if the agent can book exactly the same flights under the AC flight numbers (fare should be identical). They can then price a Premium economy option for you. If the ticket has already been issued this won’t be possible.

capetonianm
    Participant

If the codeshare agreement is freeflow then Tim’s suggestion is the best, but if it’s capped or on allocation then unfortunately it probably won’t work.

Alison
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Both flights are with Brussels Airlines and the agent says that they cannot sell what Brussels Airlines doesn’t offer…. Unfortunately it is currently a package with a hotel so I guess I’m stuck with economy although I will ask the question as per TimF.

Unwriten
    Participant

Hello Alison, you can also give it a try at check in or even on the AC plane as well. I know that some airline do sell upgrades on board (LX for example).

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Alison – Had you explained originally that the flights were issued as part of a package and the tickets had already been booked then I would have given different advice.

Best to try the suggestions from Tim/Unwriten.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls