How do you keep in touch on business?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

PS I’m also one of the smug gits who eshews Windows for a Mac platform and, therefore, whilst one has to remain careful, I don’t suffer from many of the glitches and underlying system weaknesses that Windows users do. Long live Unix!

Just a warning to you all – there are a lot of dangerous emails doing the rounds purporting to come either from UPS or from the iTunes Store (the latter saying that you have been sent a gift certificate). These seem to all contain Trojans as an attachment. We’ve had dozens of these at my company over the last couple of months. I hope this warning is helpful.

Regards and safe travelling

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Simon

I would be happy to open a new thread but that would make a third. The intention was never to dive in tear apart the solution. The issue was that the question was riduclued in the first place by a firm who “appears” not to be able to support a service “guarantee” published.

I am still no where nearer a solution though, but thanks to another poster, i have other solutions to look at. Data storage is important, esepcially with so many options.

thespecialone
    Participant

Honest Logic

There have been some intersting posts on this subject, especially about data security on servers positioned in the states. i have read about the SwissDisk meltdown, but as always there are 2 sides to every story. I hope that you use this forum so that we can learn both sides of the debate, in a rational and sensible manner.

I was particulaly concerned to hear someones comment about the fact that there is no such thing as privacy on US servers (due to Government powers). That i find extremely worrying – but would appreciate hearing the other side.

Regards

HonestLogic
    Participant

special one…
    Here’s my summary response:

1) government aka big brother spy conspiracies will always exsit

2) common sense says that it’s impossible for anyone, government included, to monitor the sheer volume of data transfers, emails, etc

3) nobody has ever hacked an SSL link or a private key encryption file

4) SwissDisk code was written by Ben Collins – please Google “Ben Collins Linux” and you will see his extensive security credentials, etc

5) the past aside….. if you or anyone else can prove that a SwissDisk competitor is more secure or is hosted on a more reliable platform I welcome that competitor to join and prove what they claim

Tim2soza
    Participant

If you are European, and are using storage services on servers in the USA, you should insist that the supplier is ‘EU Safe Harbor’ certified. This means that they comply with the EU data protection laws. This certification makes their services ‘as though they are within the EU’.

You should also insist that they are ISO/IEC 27001 certified by an Accredited auditor. Your data is worth more than your laptop.

These things do make a difference, even if they sound anorak. Think flat bed / lie flat (VK Wedgie) as an analogy.

Tim2soza
    Participant

I use Skype and Vodafone Passport for voice calls (If in a Passport country), and WiFi never mobile broadband when roaming, usually hotel or visiting business guest WiFi rather than random free services. Some WiFi services block IP calls, so Skype does not always work where you think it should.

HonestLogic
    Participant

Tim2sms… good point and nice tip, thanks! For international phone service have you ever tried a service like http://www.omni-access.com? Use the code NSC if you sign up and they will give you the best rates. Omni has toll free access from most EU countries and compared to the rates that the mobile phone companies charge Omni will save you a lot of money. Also, you don’t have to ask your mobile/cell phone provider to authorize/activate international calling, pretty slick.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now the all the toys have been thrown out of the pram – lets start again.

Honest Logic

I am neither your nemesis nor an enigma. I am certainly not trying to destroy any reputable company. I merely research using key words and use that research to support what i find. I consider this as being extremely neutral. I use Google, if you have an issue with what is found, I suggest you contact Google, but please do not think I am “against” you. I am merely trying to research whether there is a more robust solution to that which I use.

The reason I use a plain memory sticks for offline back ups is that the data never leaves my side, I am in control of it at all times. So yes, i suffer having to hoild on to a memroy stick either around my neck or in my briefcase. It is encrypted, it will self destruct after 10 unsuccesful password attempts and there are copies of the stick in 2 locations every day.

Secondly, the 32gb/64gb issue. I currently use a 64gb memory stick. Contained on the memory stick is a complete back up of my c: including OS. Seems sensable in the event of a meltdown.

All my documents are contained within “My documents”. This folder is replicated on my desk top and lap top so my hardware storage is identical. The size of “My documents” is 15.8gb.

Where we disagree about online/offline is after I have created or ammended a file within my documents.

After I have created or ammended I use my offline back up to “SYNCH” to my memory stick and then the memory stick to the drive on the other hardware that will need to be updated.

The reason why I synch and not copy is because i will always have a true copy and match on my lap top/pc and back up. (hence the term back up)

Over night, my pc/lap top is backed to my company server.

The view of our IT department is that whilst on line back ups and storage offer 50 – 100gb and more of storage, the upload speeds make realistic useage for data transfer for large files impossible.

This is where our views differ. Lets take away the security, the 3rd party storage issue, just disucss the synching issue, ensuring that identical copies of the my documents folder exist for me when i travel, when i back up and when i work on both my pc and lap top.

If you have a genuine solution with Swiss Disk, I will give you guys a shot – but so far, besides riducling the offline system, I am trying to understand the benefits of online storage by 3rd party data storage. Synching seems to me to be the most logical data transfer method for backing up and ensuring work exisits on pc’s and lap tops.

File sharing through the 3rd party facility is also a red herring.

Honest Logic, please try one more time to explain the benefit becasue at the end of the day, irrespective of all the positive /negative internet news available about Swiss Disk, the fact remains that you guys are still in business.

I am trying to be as neutral as I can, but this is a subject that I am extremely interested in and if a more up to date solution exists, my company needs to be using it.

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your time.

Martyn

HonestLogic
    Participant

MnS… while I’m not sure that SwissDisk will ever keep you happy I think maybe the solution that you really need is a third party software app.

I believe you mentioned that you are a Blackberry man so perhaps you could start your quest for a solution by using an app like the one here: http://www.pader-sync.com/mobile-file-manager.html

Even an app like this may not totally satisfy your needs, but the average business traveler, and the average SwissDisk free account user generally finds tremendous benefits from mobile sync apps.

Note, if you don’t like the padersyncFM app then perhaps the padersyncDAV app may suite you. Either one should work with SwissDisk.

If you try these apps with SwissDisk and like them you may need to upgrade to a larger SwissDisk account . If so, just send an email to <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] and mention these posts. SwissDisk will customize any account size that you need.

From the sound of it you’ll never be able to use an online service for all your needs, but then they aren’t made for everyone. Neither is a Porshe. :~)

Also note, the use of Windows built in webfolders or, better yet, other third party software such as WebDrive allows you to greatly expand the common functions (copy entire folders for example) that you may need to maximize the speed and functionality of a service like SwissDisk.

Communications for the modern business traveler are ever evolving to serve the needs of the masses. I have no doubt that somewhere you will find what you are looking for… whatever brand name it may carry. SwissDisk is not the savior or solution for all

As always, I wish you safe travels and remember, laughter is the best medicine! :o)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi

Interestingly enough where i am currently staying in Asia, I have met a businessman who was trying to sort out his IT after his HD had failed. His only option was to use his offline backup including his OS, which was not approved by his company or wait for his new computer to be shipped out from Australia. An online back up to reinstall could not happen, even from his company server, becasue of the length of time it would take to transfer the data. So from a full back up point of view, it seems unless i have it wrong that even trying to reinstall HD and OS from a total onsline storage solution, whether via a compnay server or 3rd party data storage facilty, would not work.

I think what I have understood from your answer is that online back ups are suitable on the basis that you have a sensible data transfer time – which I would accept as being 1/2 max. I know others may accept a longer period. Where I can see the benefit is where data can be transfered within an accpetable time frame.

Perhaps rather than advertising the max amount of storage permitted, advertise the amounts of data that can be transfered within say 10, 20 30 minute time spans. I fully accept and understand that data transfer speeds depend on the internet speed – it seems to be a vicious circle.

Today i hear that Russia has locked away 5 astronauts on a dummy run to Mars, for 1 and a half years. Perhaps when modern internet speeds can be as adventerous then perhaps will see the true value of online backups.

I think we have flogged this to death – i am still interested in a solution, 3rd party / data storage. I understand that one doesnt fit all, but what i am fundamentally saying here is nothing different to how we started this discussion.

I am not using you as a ‘bagger’ but do sincerely hope that as the techno gets faster and better that you will continue to use this forum for views and i for one would be more than happy to field test, not as a programmer or as a PR stunt, but as an end user, any techno that SD or whoever creates or markets for the benefit of promoting on or off line data storage.

Pleasure to debate with you HS – I shall watch your web site and wait for future developments.

Take care everyone and safe travelling

HonestLogic
    Participant

toady… hackers stealing credit card info at hotels.. target business travelers…

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Credit-Card-Hackers-Visit-nytimes-3300094848.html?x=0

another reminder that sending personal data over unsecure links is asking for trouble… sync over a secure link to a secure service that’s the way to stay safe

Did you notice that one place the hackers use stolen credit card info is the Apple itunes store?! Wonder what that demographic looks like?

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Yet ANOTHER covert advert, hey, HonestLogic.

I’m sure there’s a better use for this Forum that boring and shameless product placement. You really are getting boring and repetitive.

On at least two threads. Yawn.

HonestLogic
    Participant

Simon, how is a link about hackers “shameless product placement”?
    Huh? Are you and MartynSinclair having coffee? That’s boring!

moving along… and going back a couple posts
    thespecialone was curious about government spying… how do you like this news just out today:
    http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93819?fp=1

the direct link is http://apps.usa.gov

maybe the Flight Time Tracking app is good, but… are they simply watching where you are going? hhmmm

OMG, Simon, should I be worried that you are going to somehow twist this into a sales pitch? Note, since you seem to be good buddies with Martyn why don’t you ask him to delete his posts? I have said it before and I’ll say it again, if MartynSinclair will remove the nonsense that he’s posted then I’ll gladly delete my posts that you consider to be ‘product placement’ ok?

I won’t however remove a post like the one you just referred. There is nothing but clean, honest advice posted there.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Never met Martyn and probably never will. All I do know is that :

1. He posts on a variety of travel-related topics and offers helpful and constructive advice on these, whilst only retaliating to others’ insults.

2. You do neither.

Please don’t now start insulting me as well. And please don’t imply that I am stupid or naive either – I recognised your subtext in your “clean” post above just as clearly as everyone else probably did.

ChesterSimons
    Participant

HL – as a fellow American, my advice to you (and please take this as advice from a person you recognize as a gentleman) is to read what you type, before you press the “save” key.

1. I cant see where anyone on this forum who has called you a liar

2. I cant see where anyone on this forum who has accused your firm of operating a scam

3. I cant see anywhere on this forum where anyone has personally attacked you

4. I cant see anyone else on this forum who has tried using this as free advertising

5. I cant see anyone else on this forum using profanity against another poster

When researching any product, it is very relevant to use Google and other search engines. The fact is and I have tested it, when Swissdisk is entered into Google there is an auto entry that comes up “scam”. There is also negative press which is only 9 months old. I agree that 9 months is history, but the fact remains that it is extremely relevant for any individual or corporation to read, if they are considering yours or any other product, especially when a mere 9 months ago, your firm casued so many people to suffer from a data loss. The comment made by you that 95% of those people hadnt paid for the service, is certainly no defence because you still had a duty of care to those who you willingly gave access to the free software.

No poster on this forum can be held responsible for any negative press found in the public domain. I certainly hope that these posts are not deleted as they assist others as a research tool. I believe that you owe the forum an apology, not just the indivdual you are continually attacking.

The way you have come across on this forum, does embaress me as an American, because you have fundamentally missread and/or missunderstood many of the posts resulting in you posting inacurate responses.

I am sorry for having to make this contribution.

Quite frankly, I was hoping to post about the USA having to play soccer on Sunday, but that is not going to happen either.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls