Hotels in Geneva.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

• dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi a_canadian_traveller, yes it is annual. It was actually even more rooms when King Fahd was still alive as he would go to Geneva for Medical treatments during the summer months every year, the King staying in his palatial home near Geneva, but his Family took up in many hotels. The tradition of coming to Geneva continues, however.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

Geneva does an amazing thing for visitors – check in at your hotel and you will get (or must surely ask for) a pass that gives free travel on all public transport around the city. It is free to all tourists for as long as you stay at the hotel.

With this in your pocket you don’t need to stay in the city centre because you can hop on a bus or a tram (or a boat) and get there pretty quickly. That might help cut down the accommodation bills quite a bit, because the city is rather expensive (to say the least).

For a reasonable quality, reasonably priced hotel look at the Novotel near the main train station or other hotels in that area. You will find yourself in Geneva’s most ‘cosmopolitan’ district (OK, it’s the red light district) but you can walk down to the lake in 10 mins.

There is a great hotel near to the airport – you can walk leisurely and directly to it from the terminal in about 20 mins but they also have a shuttle you can call – The Nash Airport Hotel, Cointrin (it’s beside the Ibis!) – it’s very handy for getting in and out of the airport and the local buses will get you into the heart town in 25 mins.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

MS

I just saw your comment about the Nash moments after I recommended it! I have stayed there a few times for much less than you quoted and have always liked it – what was wrong?

What a great thing to know. Thanks, Shanwick1249. That’s very useful information.

I have been thinking about basing us in Lausanne, and making day trips to Geneva and the surrounding areas. Does anyone think that this is a good idea? Would it be more economical, after factoring in a rental car or a rail pass? I imagine rail connections are quite good. It has been a number of years since I was in Switzerland, and even then I did not stay for very long. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    CT

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though the President Wilson is always a treat, I’d recommend this chain of non-aligned independent hotels:

http://www.manotel.com/en/

The Kipling is my preferred choice.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Swiss trains are legendary. It’s easy to check schedules with the Swiss rail website which I consider to be one of the world’s finest (rail sites).

Simply type:
    sbb.ch

Many thanks for the rail link, AMcWhirter. That will prove most handy in the coming months.

Thanks for the link, VintageKrug. The hotels look lovely. Rates at Hotel Kipling appear to be very reasonable (particularly for Geneva), so my plan reverts back to staying right in Geneva`s city centre.

Much appreciated!

VintageKrug
    Participant

No problem at all; I’ve been very impressed with my few stays at the Kipling.

And of course you must pop out to L’entrecote for supper while you’re there:

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/switzerland/geneva/review-45059.html

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sorry Canadian, I missed your reply. Lausanne can be expensive as well, but there are some very nice hotels with attractive prices, along the lake with very good train connections into Geneva. From Geneva station it’s about a 5-10 minute walk into the centre, or take the bus. There are excellent connections and your rail ticket can have free bus travel added for a very small supplement.

Nyon is one town that has a lot of character. The Hotel Beau Rivage is very pleasant and the Filets de Perche at Maitre Jacques are excellent.

A little further in Rolle is the Hostellerie du Chateau.

I’ve also stayed at the Hotel Rotary in Geneva. It’s an Accor and former Sofitel, close to the city. Rooms are a bit small and it’s down a side street but otherwise very pleasant. Most Geneva hotels will give you a free pass for all public transport within the Geneva area, including the train trip to the airport.

Using Booking.com you can do a search for hotels within a 10km radius of all the towns mentioned and it throws up some interesting properties.

Public transport is also easy from anywhere and there are some special deals for non Swiss residents. Look at myswitzerland.com or as suggested SBB.CH

Thanks, gentlemen (LP&VK). Oh my, choosing a home base and a specific hotel will be challenging indeed. I think that transit passes provided by hotels is a brilliant idea – if only other cities around the world would follow suit. VK, we have added dinner at Le Relais de l’Entrecote to our ‘must-do’ list. And I’ll definitely explore myswitzerland.com, LP. Thanks again for the help.

CT

I have another question, unrelated to hotels and transit. Am I likely to find better deals on fine watches in Switzerland? I have often wondered that. I have not spent much time in Switzerland over the years, so never really investigated. Mrs. CT is celebrating a milestone birthday this year, and I am considering a fine watch as a gift (I can assure you that it would go over just as well as any other piece of jewellery with Mrs. CT). I am prepared to start doing some serious research, but wonder if those of you in a position to know happen to think that it’s even worth my time. Many thanks.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I pottered over to Geneva last summer for an afternoon au lac and dinner with friends, and as an aside while waiting for the boat thought it might be less expensive to have my Patek serviced there; alas it wasn’t, so I ended up going to Bond Street as usual.

They send them back to Switzerland for six months.

The bill I had suggested it was non-stop massages and goat’s milk baths, though worth it as it was returned looking fab.

I have been in the market for a Nautilus for a while, though the model I want is no longer produced, I thought they might have a few remnants in the Geneva shop. Alas, no. Prices for similar watches weren’t especially competitive, in my opinion, but then it’s largely dependent on what you’re buying.

I was, however, warned that the authorities are hot to people purchasing and not paying import duty if bringing back to the UK, so do be aware of that (it’s an easy money laundering trick to buy a swanky watch and “gift” it, apparently).

If you pop into the store, you can get free entrance to the Patek Museum, which is fascinating if you’re into horology, and don’t even think about looking that word up on the urban dictionary:

http://www.patekmuseum.com/

MartynSinclair
    Participant

make sure you pay the duty when you import a fine watch. In the event of an insurance claim, you could come unstuck, if the insurer wants to see the original reciept.

Saying its a gift wont work as all fine watches are traceable back to the point of purchase.

I have purchased fine watches, in Bond Street, ebay and the high street and have never purchased a fine watch, without checking the serial number with the mfg, to make sure its genuine. As long as the price is good, the watch is in original packing and seals are unbroken, i am happy to buy either with the full red carpet treatment or signing via a fed ex parcel.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

I very strongly support VK’s suggestion of L’Entrecote for dinner. It shows you are a man of taste, VK.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls